All reviews third floor boutique hotel overlooked the opera house rooftop balcony bottle of fizz budapest opera breakfast was buffet style perfect location days stay upgraded to a junior suite mini bar large bed gorgeous hotel desk staff street noise nespresso machine exploring budapest
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

Very comfortable rooms in an ideal location next to the National Opera and the Jewish quarter on the Pest side. All the best restaurants and night life, cozy wine bars are within a 15 minute walk.

The real bonus with this place is the staff. They are friendly and accommodating beyond expectations.

This is a 20 room boutique hotel residence occupying two floors on a Grand historical apartment complex. Lots of history, 14 foot ceilings.

They have 24/7 desk staff who help with anything you need. It's like having a local travel guide and butler down the hall.

I give this place full marks.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
TeklaB18, Recepciós at Callas House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Dear Steve J,

thank you very much for your nice feedback after your stay in our hotel. We are delighted to read that you were satisfied with our service and hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

I will try to be fair but I'm not a happy camper. I have been to Europe, many, many, many times, I usually know how to pick hotels that are good for us and I'm not hard to please, not at all. I only write reviews about places I either really love or I really dislike, and I'm sorry to say Callas House is in the latter category. On the plus side, the room is attractive, if not very big, and the bathroom is fine, if also somewhat small. There's no extra space but its enough. There are larger rooms in the hotel but they were all booked when I made this reservation, and I found that to be a good sign. However: problem #1: it's October, its warm and they don't have air conditioning which means we had to sleep with the windows open. "Sorry, we turn off the a/c in September." Really? And you still have customers? You'll get rid of your American customers really fast that way. Have you ever tried to sleep in a room on a busy street with the windows open? Every motorcycle and every drunk sound as if they are in the room with you when you are trying to sleep. Second problem, and this was a pretty serious one because it was so disrespectful to the guests: breakfast. Breakfast is included in the room price so its pre-paid i.e. if we go elsewhere for breakfast, we have paid for breakfast price. We attempted to sit down at a nice looking table that was set with silverware and were told by the staff that we could not sit there. We could only sit at the tables in the back of the restaurant which were not set with silverware, but did have a jumble of chairs lying all over the floor making us feel like we were in a storage area. The service area directly in our line of sight was a shambles. This is off-putting for someone who spent 7 years in the restaurant business, as I did. It's dissing the customers. We did our best to ignore the breakfast area and went to the buffet in the next room. This is when we discovered that all the alleged hot food (i.e. eggs, bacon sausages etc) were barely even room temperature. There was nobody serving coffee at our table, just a single staff member who seemed put off by our suggestion that the cold "hot" food was not acceptable. As I have spent a long time in the restaurant business, I am very polite when I speak to staff, but I do expect a solution to the problem. After our meal, I complained to the manager of the hotel. No sympathy there. Since nobody contacted me, I called the hotel manager late in the day after we returned from touring and didn't hear anything resembling either an apology or a promise that the breakfast complaint would be addressed. I could go on but you get the idea. This hotel is amateurish and tone deaf and thus, will not get my return business. However, this trip to Budapest will be the first of many. I absolutely love the place, the Hungarians, the architecture, everything about it. Its drop dead gorgeous, affordable, walkable, friendly and reminds me of Paris, only exotic. The Callas House? They will not be seeing us again.

Room tip: Find another hotel
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank JVScully
Reviewed 1 October 2018

What an unusual hotel! I found the restaurant easily but spent several minutes looking for the hotel entrance - only found it eventually after asking exactly what to look for - a solid shut wooden door with a small plaque with the name of the hotel! I think it’s to keep this wonderful hotel hidden for those who are looking for the perfect spot to stay in this wonderful city. The staff were most helpful - even though it has no business room per se, I was able to use the computer at the desk to print out several tickets and passes I needed - very casual and relaxed atmosphere. The room in the eves of the roof was quite spacious with a little balcony out on the roof that was quite cute. The bathroom was very spacious with a lovely walk in shower with buckets of hot water. Very comfortable king size bed with fridge and safe also I the room. Breakfast in the restaurant was very adequate - a bit short on fruit but excellent coffee, cereals, breads and cooked food. The hotel is right by the subway so it made it very easy to get around the city. Great neighborhood with tons of restaurants,shops and bars

Room tip: Rooms are so high up it was very quiet.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
TeklaB18, Recepciós at Callas House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Louiscfl27,

Reviewed 30 September 2018

Excellent location - Boutique hotel across the road from the Opera, on the wide, treelined Andrassy utca, one of the nicest in Budapest. (very posh expensive shops!)

Reception is on the level 3 or 4 of the residential looking building, you ring a bell or you can go through the restaurant. Nice building, there is an embassy in there as well.

Our room was very nicely decorated, large bathroom but not very functional, it wasn't overly noisy but I sleep with earplugs. We had a side view street, looking at the opera being renovated, so there was a construction noise during the day.

Service - hit and miss, reception staff was pleasant for most part but not very informative. Housekeeping could be very very improved...

Buffet breakfast (included in the price) was a joke, staff at breakfast simply didn't care. The cafe where it's served is very nice though!

They gave us a complimentary welcome drinks which was a nice touch.

I rated this hotel as average mainly because it could be so much better, feels like a lost opportunity...

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Lovetoeattravel2012,

Thank you for choosing Callas House for your home away from home in Budapest. We are also grateful for your honest review about your stay in our property and we are sorry to hear that our breakfast and the housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. Our aim is to provide the best service and guest experience therefore we appreciate every feedback and suggestion. The issue will be forwarded to the Restaurant and the Housekeeping department and if needed we will take the neccesary actions. We hope that it was not your last stay in Callas House and we will have a chance to perform even better.

Best regards,
Callas House Reception Team

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed here with my mother and sisters. We loved the hotel. The location was perfekt, the suite was wonderful, the beds were comfortable, the breakfast was delicious. The staff was very helpful and had answeres for all our questions, and Marcel was amazing!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
TeklaB18, Recepciós at Callas House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear Inger H,