“A wonderful evening of delicious food!”
Review of The Poet

The Poet
Reserve with OpenTable
The Poet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Matfield
Price range: US$30 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We believe that your dining experience with us starts the moment you walk through our door. A friendly greeting from our front of house team, lead by co-owner Andy Urbanek and Manager Simon Moore. The Poet offers a vast selection of craft gins, handpicked wines and quirky cocktails. Chef Patron Petrus Madutlela and his team tempt customers with an imaginative array of contemporary British food.
Reviewed 15 October 2018

I chose this place for my partner's birthday based on reading several positive reviews online and they were all correct, The Poet is a fantastic place to go to eat. I love a cosy, country pub and this had all the atmosphere and characteristics of one but with amazing food too. I am gluten free and frequently find it difficult to find somewhere to eat that understands and accommodates this dietary requirement, the Poet was able to tell me exactly what I could and couldn't have (the waiter being gluten free himself put me even more at ease!), and as the food is all local and fresh I had a lot of choice. My partner and I had such a lovely evening, even stopping to speak to the owners before we left, and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

My husband and I went along yesterday lunch with another couple who had there 2 year old with them (who slept in her buggy until the last 20 minutes).

Im pregnant so im limited to what i can have on most menus but luckily there was a nice amount of options for me and with the staff being very accommodating the dish i choose they said they would ensure the chef new i was pregnant and would keep an added extras which werent pregnancy freindly off the plate ....

We all had a different starter which were all very impressivly plated up... and most importantly were all very yummy!! We all had a version of the roast dinner (chicken, bef, and venison) which came with sharing plates of sides, all the sides were yummy - not a bland thing to eat, and the meats were perfectly cooked with a rich gravy and large yorkshire!! it was just what you want on an autumn sunday!
We also had a desert each and like the previous courses were served up very pretty and didnt fail in taste. apple tart with cinnamon icecream was unreal - i now have a favourite winter icecream.

The service was great from the moment we walked in, all staff were very polite and accommodating - very smartly presented, they took note off your table all the time and was knowledgeable of the food being served.

The menu changes often apparently so i couldnt say what we had would be on offer next time but i think in a place like this i would want to try something new each time i visited.

The others had a bottle of red, and espresso martinis, while i had rhubarb juice (so nice) and a latte ... all drinks we great and the bar doesnt lack in options!!

Lucky to have it close by enough to revisit soon!

Highly recommended

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Had my first visit to the poet today. Was so impressed. Food was excellent, presentation beautiful and service second to none all in a very comfortable (non starchy) atmosphere. Very Kentish pub feel. It was my wedding anniversary which they also made a point to acknowledge with our desserts - such a special touch.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Best meal we have had in Kent by some distance, super impressed with all aspects of The Poet.
Staff excellent.
Food excellent.
Menu & wine list well priced.

Thank you, we will be back.

Reviewed 5 October 2018

We went to the poet recently and found it to be very good.
Good food and good service.
We will be back.