Sugar Kube is a GREAT property!
Particularly good are:
- the pool, good size, and surrounds - beautiful limestone (I think) paving which looks great, remains cool in the sun and isn't particularly slippery even when wet, lots of small palms. Only overlooked from a couple of (rarely occupied) spots
- the location, no more than 50yds from the wonderful Smith's Reef beach - great snorkeling, good for swimming, nice to walk along
- the indoor space, large for two people, huge sliding doors (no need for a/c overnight), great balconies, nicely finished
- the third floor roof balcony, rather hot in the day, but great in the early evening for pre-dinner cocktail(s)
- rent a car. Grocery store is a couple of miles drive. There’s other great beaches to visit
- eat out at Shark Bite. 10 minute walk, good food, nice water side location
To be aware of:
- sits behind beach front properties (at least 3X price), but currently has direct ocean view to west from 3rd floor roof space (over open lots that will be filled one day)
- plenty of construction underway in the neighborhood. Nothing major (during our visit), but noisy from time to time
Sugar Kube is a well-kept property in a central location. Nights are quiet, you can hear the ocean if you have the sliders open to catch the breezes. The living room and bedroom were quite comfortable. The kitchen was adequate for the meals we ate in the villa. All appliances were in good working order. The pool, garden and deck are well maintained. The BBQ grill was in good shape with plenty of propane provided. The rooftop lounge area is perfect for sunsets. We would return to this villa again!
Pros and Cons:
Ants: This is an island and you must expect ants. Unless you have a high tolerance for ants you want to keep food preparation to a minimum. Ensure you always wipe up right away and use the garbage disposal for any food scraps. We ate breakfast in the villa and made dinner twice. I swear the ants feel you put a glass down on the counter and form a party to go immediately investigate! This is not a black mark on the villa – we expect ants come with an island property.
Beach equipment: We brought our own masks and snorkels but used the swim fins provided. They were definitely a plus having the fins for snorkeling. The beach chairs were not in great condition but they worked. The umbrella wasn’t enough coverage for both of us. We used the beach chairs 3 days and rented chaises and an umbrella 2 days on Grace Beach at Coral Gardens. ($40 per day)
Beach access: Pictures attached. I couldn’t find any pictures online prior to my trip to see how close or easy it was to get to Smith’s Reef beach area from the villa. It is easy. You cross the drive to a stepping stone area then enter what looks like it might be a future villa site, walk a short way to the beach. Snorkeling was excellent although we saw our only turtles at Coral Gardens area.
Pool area: The pool is very nice, the table and chairs are comfortable but not for a long period sitting. The chaise I found to be uncomfortable and the two times I tried to use it I got bit up by mosquitos. You should have insect repellent to sit outside, as soon as the sun was off an area they moved in. Do not lower the umbrella as it’s a major undertaking to raise it again, and I mean major! We had to call the property manager and it took 3 of us.
Location: The Turtle Cove marina area is very nice. There are a few very good restaurants close by. Nothing is really very far away by car. The area is quiet at night although we did hear some singing from the marina from over the water (sound carries!) but it wasn’t intrusive. The neighbors were all very respectful and quiet.
Construction: There is construction on the island so inquire of your travel agent or villa contact so you know before renting what you’re in for. There is a villa being constructed one property over from Sugar Kube. It is on the beach and extends right out to the main road (big place!). It looks to be identical construction to the one immediately next door. Construction starts at 7:15am and goes until close to sundown except on Sundays. This impacted our use of the balcony and pool area most days of our stay.
Cost: We thought we were prepared for the prices for groceries and dining but still were shocked. $6 for four bagels, $9 for 2 chicken breasts, $40 for a 750ml bottle of Tito’s vodka. So you get the picture – it’s expensive. We kicked ourselves for not buying at the duty free at our home airport and taking some wine and liquor with us. That said, we had a wonderful time and plan to return despite the cost!