“Renovated, new owners, good food”

Sherwoods Restaurant - Bar - Beer Garden
Ranked #14 of 87 Restaurants in Cowes
Price range: US$3 - US$115
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcoming setting, with good quality food using local produce when available, accommodating those with dietary requirements.
Reviewed 25 October 2018

First time to Sherwoods under the new owners and we had a pleasing experience. It was a quiet Tuesday so menu was limited, very sensible in order to ensure the ingredients are fresh. The restaurant is much brighter and fresh from its recent facelift, the upstairs too and outside beer garden are much improved and should be very popular this summer as it looks out over the jetty. The scallop and prawn entree was delicious, the lamb rack was wonderfully tender though the meat could have been warmer, my duck was very tasty and the sauces delectable. The vegetables were nice and crunchy. For desert we shared creme brûlée, though an unusual presentation it yummy. Good luck to the new owners, there are few fine dining establishments in Cowes it up to you to make Sherwoods the top choice.

2  Thank Mischa134
LucasT1678, Manager at Sherwoods Restaurant - Bar - Beer Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2018

Thank you, so glad you enjoyed your experience, we look forward to seeing you again over summer to sample our new menu.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

One of the handful of restaurants on Phillip Island ( it seems ) that understands how to make very nice food ... and the espresso martini is a very yummy drink, which is great if you’ve been driving for hours and you want coffee and alcohol in the same glass.

2  Thank Trevor R
Lucas T, Manager at Sherwoods Restaurant - Bar - Beer Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Wow, thank you. We love to hear positive feedback. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

Very nice place for a quality dinner in Cowes. New owners that are friendly and a pleasure to converse with. My friends loved the oysters. Fat chips were a hit too amongst all. Cheers guys, see you soon.

2  Thank ZakLee8

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate that you enjoyed your experience and that you posted positive feedback.
From all of us here, we look forward to you returning to see our new summer menu.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit to Sherwoods with the new owners. We had dinner there with friends and all agreed it was first class. The service was prompt and friendly, the food was superb.
Will be going back soon to try some other menu options.
It's really nice to see another quality restaurant in Cowes - thanks Sherwoods!

2  Thank AndrewM673923
Lucas T, Owner at Sherwoods Restaurant - Bar - Beer Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Thank you Andrew, We here at Sherwoods appreciate when customers share their good experiences with us. Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is way overpriced for the service and the quality of food they offer. High end pricing with amateur hour service and food that my local pub beats hands down.

The staff were hopeless, they had no idea what the specials were, I asked a question regarding the fish of the day and was met with a nervous giggle and oh I’ll have to ask the chef. 3 times she went back and I still had no idea what the fish was.

Twice the staff came back and asked for how we wanted sides/ meats cooked etc (questions we had already answered) and then my sons kids meal which came out a good 5 minutes after all the adult meals, was cooked wrong.

The fish was over cooked and the mass produced Maccas style shoe string fries were limp and sad.

The linguine was not as described in the menu as too the clams/pippies from the entrees.

The steak was the only saving grace. This I couldn’t fault but overall it was not worth the disgrace of the rest of the meal and the pathetic service.

When I asked to speak to the manager at the end of the evening, it was clear she was disinterested, yes I know I’ve never run a restaurant, but I’ve dined in plenty and I genuinely thought they needed the feedback (and this was after I had already paid full price for everything so was not seeking a discount)

The final nail in the coffin was the snide comment by the waiter where he dismissed our claims the fish was over cooked “we have obviously never had properly cooked fish”

Don’t waste your money folks!

Date of visit: September 2018