Lowest prices for your stay
$236
Fully refundable before Fri, 31 May
michaelaV7204KA

Best stay in Hastings

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 14 Aug 2023via mobile
A great place to stay, located in a convenient location in Hastings. Great rooms that are spacious and clean with good amenities. The rooms were family friendly with our little one. The staff are friendly, communicate well, and make the whole stay really easy.
Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Kaye Doyle, Owner at Portmans Motor Lodge, responded to this review
Responded 15 Aug 2023
Thanks very much. We really appreciate the positive feedback.
Motel Exterior
11.8 km from Portmans Motor Lodge
  • Vio.com
19.0 km from Portmans Motor Lodge
Free parking
Any one keen for a barbie & a dip in the pool?
Vio.com
1.8 km from Portmans Motor Lodge
  • Agoda.com
    $208
0.4 km from Portmans Motor Lodge
53.4 km from Portmans Motor Lodge
View more hotels in Hastings
All reviews motor lodge parking spot room was clean electric frying pan spa bath the kitchen swimming pool stay there again good size great stay enjoyed our stay motel unit hosts cbd
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 June 2023

Arrived from out of town and was well supported by the onsite staff. I found my room and the facilities to be very clean and welcoming. The room was warm and I had a better night's sleep than my own bed at home. Thanks to the team at Portman, I wouldn't hesitate to visit again next time I am in town.

Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Kaye Doyle, Owner at Portmans Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2023

Thanks very much. The heat pumps we installed when we bought the business have made a real difference in both the winter & the scorching Hawke's Bay summer (although not the 2022/23 one, let's just forget about that one!).

Reviewed 27 June 2023

Great stay at Portmans, it is a warm and welcoming motel close to everything in Hastings, handy having your own parking spot while we wandered around town. Clean room, very comfortable bed, great sleep after a big day of travel. Thanks!

Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 June 2023

We had booked in for four nights. The second night there was a banging on the doors and some youth running through the motel. The second night the police turned up with a male evidently in nz they put homeless and witness protection people into motels. We had previously asked Portmans if they did this and they confirmed no they didnt how untrue they do. When you pay $215 a night for four nights you want to feel safe, they even had the cheek to charge $2 a night for a small bottle of milk and when I questioned this the manager just said you are not in Australia now but funny how every other motel we stayed at in NZ didnt charge for milk. When we said we wanted to check out after 3 days as we didnt feel safe, they didnt even offer a refund which they should have done for the disturbance we had experienced there. I would NOT recommend this motel in Hastings to anyone.

Date of stay: June 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kaye Doyle, Owner at Portmans Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2023

Thank you for your complaint. Believe it or not, not everyone with a brown skin is homeless and we don't have any witness protection scheme in NZ that I am aware of. Your racist comments/behaviour while here were not appreciated and we would very much like you and anyone you recommend to not stay at this motel, ever. Portmans does not provide any form of social/emergency accommodation and never has.

Reviewed 20 April 2023

We arrived at Portmans Motor Lodge after a long journey but it was well worth it , what a fantastic place to stay , the room was large with everything we needed and it was absolutely immaculate , we really enjoyed our stay thanks.

Room tip: Its Perfect.
Date of stay: April 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks very much. We appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 9 January 2023

Scary! Stranger walks into our hotel room at 1am

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of your hotel room door flinging open and footsteps inside. That just happened to me while staying at Portmans lodge.

The check-in to Portmans lodge at Napier was to have a nice break after the long drive and to explore the city. We were a group of friends and booked 4 rooms.

At 12:45am I woke up to have a glass of water and just had a look outside the window whereby I saw a stranger walking through the lodge entrance gate and trying to open the room door.

My first reaction was to turn over and go back to sleep as if I thought he must be having a room in Portmans lodge, however his behaviour didn’t sound so, as he started trying to open all the doors from the gate entrance, as he approached my door I was shaken and my heart still pounding. The door was locked, and he went to the next door where my friend was staying, and I heard the door being opened.

I picked up the phone and called the reception desk to be informed about the incident. Immediately I rang my friend who was staying next door asking if anyone was inside your room and he said no. Eventually, it was the room after which the stranger went inside which had a family who screamed seeing the stranger in their room in the middle of the night.

Myself and my friend came out of the room as well as a person from the reception also came out to look for the stranger. Stranger still didn’t leave the premises and was trying to open other doors. As he saw us, he tried to go out of the gate.

Being a stranger, we were stunned to go near him as we don’t know whether he has some weapons with him. Reception informed the Police and within half hour they arrived and took the statement.

Scary! – our group of friends stayed there for 2 nights during which we couldn’t sleep at all.

Conclusion

I will never use Portman’s lodge. I’m not sure we were ever in danger, but to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of a stranger in your room is scary.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Kaye Doyle, Owner at Portmans Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2023

Thanks for your comprehensive statement. Unless you stay in a locked enclosure I can't see any way to prevent some random person entering the property. So long as your door and your vehicle is secure you will of course be safe. We would highly recommend you do not approach strangers at all at that time of night and leave it to the professionals to deal with. The staff on site accepted exactly as expected and were supportive and ensured the Police response was appropriate. It is sad to hear you will not visit Hastings again but unfortunately it is also a symptom of the times we are currently living in.