Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Taylor J
Taplow, United Kingdom

It’s a bugs life

Review of Angus Inn Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Jan 2018via mobile
The experience was terrible from the start, poor service at the front door, no hot water, dark inconvenient rooms, felt unsafe and to top it off the room was filled with Beatles and we had to beg to switch rooms
Date of stay: January 2018
    $206
1.2 km from Angus Inn Hotel
    $209
0.6 km from Angus Inn Hotel
Large room spare bed and spotless
1.8 km from Angus Inn Hotel
  • Vio.com
  • eDreams
18.9 km from Angus Inn Hotel
View more hotels in Hastings
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

No hot water, unsafe feel to the entire place - main doors not locked throughout the night, bugs crawling all over the room - night manager did nothing about it! Do not visit!! Sleep in your car if desperate!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Was nice and homey planning on booking a night there again soon was comfy really nice place to stay. Good parking area and lovely staff and affordable left early so haven't tried the food but will be trying it when next go stay there

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 22 July 2017

We had not counted on a stay in a hotel that was so basic. Sad to say it was very run down the rooms are in desperate need of updating likewise the majority of the Hotel. Had breakfast there and aslo a dissapointment even though the staff are real Lovely and helpful. I guess it would be not the accomodation you would stay at on holiday as it looked like they had permanent residents of Overseas workers also residing there.

Room tip: Dont choose this for a stay
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2017

Wow. Having travelled all over the world including third world countries this is one of the worst. First of all room was absolutely filthy. Didn't want to make a fuss so asked for some cleaning products to clean room myself. Seeing the built up dirt I needed to make sure room was clean. Room itself is from the 1970's. Prices definately not from the 70's.
Attending a function staff stopped me at the door stating have been watching and i had too much to drink. Wow. 3 cokes and 1 alcoholic drink. Is that too much. When I demanded explanation was told welcome to check out. Are you kidding me? I Asked to speak with the owner to be told "I am the manager". Really,did you not understand my question? Basically we tried hard to like thiis place but it really is dodgy. Towel rail falllng off, shower drips slowly, liquid soap so harsh hurts the skin, sheets threadbare and blankets so old.Mattress is something from the 60's. Dont think they have updated anything since opening many years ago. Have stayed in 1 star backpackers better than this place. Hastings NZ is a beautuful place. Check out backpackers before staying at Angus Inn as we can guarantee it will be half the price and 10 times nicer.

Room tip: Just dont stay here
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianeDAustralia
SuePitts, Manager at Angus Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Hi Diane.
I see you have wrote a review whilst you are still checked in. Thanks for that.
I will respond in sequence.
After check in you came to the desk and stated that you were embarrassed to ask but could you have a cleaning cloth and spray and wipe. I initially offered you another room and when you turned that down I offered to have a cleaner come through to address any areas you had concern with. You declined both options intent in reassuring me that there was no major problem with the room and I quote "no, the room is fine its just my OCD, I will just feel better after giving it a wipe down" so I got housekeeping to supply the items you requested and left it at that.
You did attend a function that was being held at the hotel on both Friday and Saturday
nights. The function was held in our Licensed restaurant and bar. As the restaurant is a licensed area it does mean you cannot bring your own alcohol in. On both nights both yourself and your husband did not purchase anything from the bar but kept asking for glasses of ice. It was deduced that you were sneaking your own drinks into the function.
It was noted by a staff member that you appeared to have had to much to drink and a comment to that effect was discreetly made to your husband. You were then stopped in the corridor carrying two drinks from your room, you were informed then that you could not take the drinks into the function. licensing laws and hotel policy do not allow this. It was then that we spent the better part of hour dealing with your irrational ranting over a staff member suggesting that perhaps you had had too much to drink and how offended you were, how your felt judged. Our staff hold duty manager licenses that trains them to monitor patrons intoxication levels and refuse service where necessary - it is literally their job to judge people, although it is made that much harder when people are sneaking alcohol in. Nothing in my interactions with you on Saturday night lead me to believe that the staff member was wrong, you certainly seemed intoxicated to me.

As for being told you were welcome to check out, yes I did say that. When you were stating how awful everything was and how awful everyone was I let you know that if you chose to you were welcome to check out in the morning and we would refund your additional 3 nights without penalty. The next morning at 7am you rang the hotel number getting the after-hours manager demanding to check out with a refund. The night manager told you he would contact me to arrange, which he did, which I then did but when the receptionist spoke to you later that morning you said you now wished to stay on as there was strangely no accommodation available elsewhere, well thats not quite true is it. Sunday night in Hastings, plenty available, in fact the first place the receptionist rung had plenty of accommodation.
As for speaking with the owner, owners have managers for a reason. Yes, I understand your question but I am not bothering someone who is not even in the country because you were annoyed we would not let you flout Liquor Licensing laws that they are paid to uphold.

I find it odd you have chosen to stay on an additional three nights after writing this review.

Have a good day Diane.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

We attended a family bereavement that was bad enough , and not being able to find other accomadation due to a national horse event , the Angus was the only place we could find , thank goodness we were booked for two nights only. On arrival there were presumably fruit pickers not sure what nationality maybe from Papua New Guinea congregating outside the main entrance , quite intimating thank goodess my husband was with me . reception area smelly , receptionist gave me the impression she did not want to be there,. Made our way down a dark and musky smelling corridor , into our room , same stuffy & smelly . Bathroom , shower curtain filthy no face towels , only a soap dispenser ( had our own toiletries ) Bed : hard as bloody concrete the worse bed I have ever slept in , I was to afraid to look at the state of the mattress . Would not recommend to my worst enemy , and they had the cheek to charge $125 a night . never again Angus , place needs a bloody over-haul.

Date of stay: March 2017