Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
DianeDAustralia
Australia

Don't do it.

Review of Angus Inn Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 May 2017
Wow. Having travelled all over the world including third world countries this is one of the worst. First of all room was absolutely filthy. Didn't want to make a fuss so asked for some cleaning products to clean room myself. Seeing the built up dirt I needed to make sure room was clean. Room itself is from the 1970's. Prices definately not from the 70's.
Attending a function staff stopped me at the door stating have been watching and i had too much to drink. Wow. 3 cokes and 1 alcoholic drink. Is that too much. When I demanded explanation was told welcome to check out. Are you kidding me? I Asked to speak with the owner to be told "I am the manager". Really,did you not understand my question? Basically we tried hard to like thiis place but it really is dodgy. Towel rail falllng off, shower drips slowly, liquid soap so harsh hurts the skin, sheets threadbare and blankets so old.Mattress is something from the 60's. Dont think they have updated anything since opening many years ago. Have stayed in 1 star backpackers better than this place. Hastings NZ is a beautuful place. Check out backpackers before staying at Angus Inn as we can guarantee it will be half the price and 10 times nicer.
Date of stay: May 2017
Room Tip: Just dont stay here
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
1.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
SuePitts, Manager at Angus Inn Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 30 May 2017
Hi Diane.
I see you have wrote a review whilst you are still checked in. Thanks for that.
I will respond in sequence.
After check in you came to the desk and stated that you were embarrassed to ask but could you have a cleaning cloth and spray and wipe. I initially offered you another room and when you turned that down I offered to have a cleaner come through to address any areas you had concern with. You declined both options intent in reassuring me that there was no major problem with the room and I quote "no, the room is fine its just my OCD, I will just feel better after giving it a wipe down" so I got housekeeping to supply the items you requested and left it at that.
You did attend a function that was being held at the hotel on both Friday and Saturday
nights. The function was held in our Licensed restaurant and bar. As the restaurant is a licensed area it does mean you cannot bring your own alcohol in. On both nights both yourself and your husband did not purchase anything from the bar but kept asking for glasses of ice. It was deduced that you were sneaking your own drinks into the function.
It was noted by a staff member that you appeared to have had to much to drink and a comment to that effect was discreetly made to your husband. You were then stopped in the corridor carrying two drinks from your room, you were informed then that you could not take the drinks into the function. licensing laws and hotel policy do not allow this. It was then that we spent the better part of hour dealing with your irrational ranting over a staff member suggesting that perhaps you had had too much to drink and how offended you were, how your felt judged. Our staff hold duty manager licenses that trains them to monitor patrons intoxication levels and refuse service where necessary - it is literally their job to judge people, although it is made that much harder when people are sneaking alcohol in. Nothing in my interactions with you on Saturday night lead me to believe that the staff member was wrong, you certainly seemed intoxicated to me.

As for being told you were welcome to check out, yes I did say that. When you were stating how awful everything was and how awful everyone was I let you know that if you chose to you were welcome to check out in the morning and we would refund your additional 3 nights without penalty. The next morning at 7am you rang the hotel number getting the after-hours manager demanding to check out with a refund. The night manager told you he would contact me to arrange, which he did, which I then did but when the receptionist spoke to you later that morning you said you now wished to stay on as there was strangely no accommodation available elsewhere, well thats not quite true is it. Sunday night in Hastings, plenty available, in fact the first place the receptionist rung had plenty of accommodation.
As for speaking with the owner, owners have managers for a reason. Yes, I understand your question but I am not bothering someone who is not even in the country because you were annoyed we would not let you flout Liquor Licensing laws that they are paid to uphold.

I find it odd you have chosen to stay on an additional three nights after writing this review.

Have a good day Diane.
    $172
    $186
2.1 km from Angus Inn Hotel
Free parking
Large room spare bed and spotless
  • ZenHotels.com
  • Agoda.com
    $179
    $187
0.6 km from Angus Inn Hotel
Roses in Summertime - owner's seasonal pool which guests are welcome to use.
$161
No prepayment needed
  • eDreams
18.9 km from Angus Inn Hotel
View more hotels in Hastings
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 March 2017

We attended a family bereavement that was bad enough , and not being able to find other accomadation due to a national horse event , the Angus was the only place we could find , thank goodness we were booked for two nights only. On arrival there were presumably fruit pickers not sure what nationality maybe from Papua New Guinea congregating outside the main entrance , quite intimating thank goodess my husband was with me . reception area smelly , receptionist gave me the impression she did not want to be there,. Made our way down a dark and musky smelling corridor , into our room , same stuffy & smelly . Bathroom , shower curtain filthy no face towels , only a soap dispenser ( had our own toiletries ) Bed : hard as bloody concrete the worse bed I have ever slept in , I was to afraid to look at the state of the mattress . Would not recommend to my worst enemy , and they had the cheek to charge $125 a night . never again Angus , place needs a bloody over-haul.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank SueS3915
Reviewed 1 March 2017

The chef and kitchen staff are friendly
My employer Tranzit Coach lines Wellington had booked a room for me to stay for 7 days.
The cleaning staff 24/02/2017 left my room open for anyone to walk in and take my personal items.
There were a couple of fruit picker groups, that were on my floor, as I came back to the motel late in the evening some of the fruit pickers were in the corridor drinking.

This room had a permeated foul smell, no air conditioning or bar fridge
This was a 3 bunk bed, total of six beds, dirty stained pillows, foam mattresses, the towels, flannels were frayed and smelled terribly.
Overall this was a room not fit for my dog to stay in.
Laundry room, looks like a fire or electrical hazardous area.

I complained to the manager Ellen, taken one off the smelly pillows to the front desk.
I asked if she can come to room 843 to investigate and Ellen said no!
There was another lady with Ellen and she said, if you are unhappy with the room you can leave.
Managers customer service is unprofessional and with a very very poor standard of communication.
This is the worst place I have stayed in

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank TaniaR2375
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

Imagine you are standing on the Las Vegas strip. It's 1974 and you are looking for a hotel. Bam on the right you can see the Angus Inn Hotel , you walk in to this very modern hotel, you check in and see a super fancy room in organge and green colors....

Joke a side, this hotel is in a big need of a refurbishment. The carpet, furniture and beds needs to be replaced, redo the bathrooms. The bed clothes were clean and fresh, and the cleaning was ok. The Hotel has a pool, looked clean but also this needs a refurb.

I wouldn't stay here again

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Majqvist
Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here and we paid more $$ to have a nice view and easy get to for the pool-we open our ranch slider to find ducks in the pool. The room and hallway leading to room had a nasty old smell. The staff member the next morning was asleep at the counter. We left a short behind and arranged to have a prepaid courier bag for it to be returned and they posted in the post rather than calling the courier company to come to hotel as arranged. Would not recommend this place at all.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank TeenaW42
Reviewed 26 November 2016

I'll start by saying the Staff were friendly. That is about all the positives that I can say about this place. It was old, smelt terrible, my room wasn't properly cleaned everyday and the internet was worse than dial up. This is the worst place I have stayed in New Zealand. It wasn't a choice to stay there as work organized it but most of us who stayed passed on feedback and my work will not be using the hotel again. Also Freight Trains...all night.

Room tip: Don't stay there
Date of stay: November 2016