“Gem in a Gem of a Place”
Review of The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

The Wharf - Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Russell is a little sleepy on the shoulder season but that did not impact the qualify of our experience. With so much to choose from the menu was fresh and interesting. Perfect wine pairings and great service with a personal flair.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Came in here today Sunday the 30th April with my girlfriend and was looking for a nice place with a view and some brunch.. we ordered the big breakfast and the soup of the day which was potato and leek..
I have to say these were the worst meals I have ever seen or tasted.. the soup was a bowl of thick extremely bland potato and leek puree which had zero flavour and was served with a thin slice of cold bread and not even butter...
As for the big breakfast my tomatoes were missing of the plate and took 20 minutes to come but by then I had lost interest as the cooking of everything else on my plate was so bad...deep fryed chorizo sausage that was all sliced up and over cooked. ..burned bacon and extremely poor cooking of everything else on my plate. ..when I asked for more bacon I received 3 slices of what I can only call discusting what looked like boiled pieces of bacon that had no colour or flavour.so I had gone from one extrem to another. .shocking! How hard is it to cook a piece of bacon..
The only good point was our coffee.it was good and well made and we did receive a complimentary coffee of the waitress for all the mistakes with the food.. you cud also hear the so called " chef" in the kitchen (a loud female voice )singing very badly which made the whole experience very uncomfortable and just shows how unprofessional this person is..
My advice to the person in charge of this business is to really have a hard look at your kitchen staff and who was in charge this day as the food was SHOCKINGLY BAD!! Wud never ever return...such a shame!!!

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

We recently visited this restaurant which is directly opposite the wharf do you can't miss it.
We had the Crab Chowder at $15.99 and it was delicious. It came with fresh bread and butter and we washed it down with ginger beer. (The Wharf doesn't sell alcohol or didn't whilst we were there.)
Loved the decor and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

So very disappointing for Nz! We did leave the place before even ordering as the very rude and disrespectful waitress was enough. When you hate your job, quit!

1  Thank Vivian W
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Decided on mid morning coffee here as it was the nearest to the pier and the rain was coming down.
What a great outlook a very welcome atmosphere and obliging staff.

The coffee was good the cakes etc on offer looked great and they were to taste.

The place could be good for lunch I guess