Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
JPY
London, United Kingdom

Nice spot for lunch

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 May 2023
We sat on the veranda and had a lovely meal here. There were nice views of the seashore and we experienced lovely service.
I recommend the wine flight, which gives you 3 x 75ml different wines to taste and compare.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
0.2 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Double Bedroom
0.4 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Free parking
A special place to unwind in the transquil atmosphere
0.4 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
  • Algotels
0.7 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
  • ZenHotels.com
0.2 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
Free parking
Soak in our hot tub while the kids enjoy the pool.
  • Expedia.com
  • Agoda.com
0.5 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
    0.9 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
    Free parking
    The bedroom in the Pacifica Suite.
    $200
    3.3 km from Duke of Marlborough Hotel
    Pool
    View more hotels in Russell
    1,674 results
    All reviews lamb shoulder waterfront room fish and chips old world charm new zealand lovely location marlborough history paihia hapuka bay mains bungalow ferry nz deck sunset
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 24 April 2023

I was extremely disappointed with this visit. I have heard nothing but good things and trying to book here was difficult so I thought it was going to be amazing.

From the first outset of arriving the staff were short, spoke over the top of us and were quite impatient. I was told on arrival our payment for the room had been received even though I had only put through a deposit which you needed when booking directly.

I had upgraded us to a superior room as the standard looked a little small. I do not know what was superior about this room apart from the water pressure in the shower which has a shower curtain not a door.

The room was small, hardly anywhere to move, only one chair, the tea and coffee station were extremely small and limited. The tea and coffee were cheap and not very nice. There was a deck so we ended up spending a lot of time sitting outside as it was the most comfortable spot.

The bed was very uncomfortable as it was two pushed together and a cover put over it. The pillows were thin and there werent any additional ones if you needed them.

The restaurant was nice but service was hit and miss; amazing on the first night and couldnt care less on sunday night. The menu is very expensive for what you get but Russell is limited for options to eat out.

We woke up early on Monday and were so uncomfortable we decided to just check out early and head home rather stay in the room. We checked out and I was told my room payment hadnt been received but it was their systems fault so we paid for the dinners and drinks and even though I tried to say I was happy to pay the full amount and sort it out later I was told the system couldnt do that and the staff member was clearly not in the mood to deal with customers.

On the way home I got called by the hotel to say that in fact the deposit hadnt been paid and I needed to pay the full amount as she had been trying my card multiple times and it kept failing!

I explained I would check when I got home and see if the deposit had been taken. In fact their system had not taken the deposit and we eneded up paying the full amount of $530 for two nights.

My summary of this hotel:
    I feel they have traded on an old reputation far too long and the place needs a major overhaul. We enjoyed the experience and glad we ticked it off our list but we wont be rushing back any time soon the rooms are extremely overpriced for you get.
    The history of the settlement site and the artwork are amazing to see and experience and the bar is laid out well.
    The waterview rooms are twice the price and I would be amazed if they were value as they are right over the restaurant.
    Our learning from this is to stay away from ‘boutique’ and old hotels.

Room tip: Know that you are going to an old hotel and the rooms are a lot smaller than standard sized hotel.
    • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 9 April 2023 via mobile

An optical illusion created by a great views, a place to people watch and loads of patrons. But the food is a major let down. The market fish, fries and steak were served warm as if they had been cooked and left for 10 minutes on the counter waiting to be served. We found the flavours and combinations to be quite odd. Loads of pesto on the steak ?! And BBQ sauce with the fries ? For the quality the price was way too high. I get that inflation is rampant but this is poor value for money. Stick to having a cold drink on the terrace and eat elsewhere.

Trip type: Travelled with family
    Reviewed 2 April 2023

Excellent stay again at the Duke. Always such a nice visit to Russell. Our room twin beds, most comfortable with deck to the morning sunshine. Bathroom facilities were spotless with lovely white towels.
    Will return again. Thanks

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 1 April 2023 via mobile

There is nothing to not like about this spot. Cheeky but super efficient and knowledgeable service. Delicious well priced food. Did I mention the water views and the history? Pro tip - get the oysters with the lemon pepper granita. And the waiter with the handle bar mustache? Enjoy. You are on vacation.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
    Reviewed 27 March 2023 via mobile

We arrived in Russell on Sunday & booked a table for that evening.
    We received a very warm welcome and we
    Thoroughly enjoyed our evening.
    The service, food & atmosphere was marvellous.
    The staff were brilliant. Very knowledgable & friendly not to mention efficient & cheerful.
    Such a pleasant experience all round.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple