See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

This is the most fun, relaxed and happy hostel I have been to in New Zealand by far. I have lived here for just over three months and am dreading saying goodbye. I have made amzing friendships and had the most fun here. It seems not a single unhappy person stays here.
There are awesome facilities like showers and toilets in each room, nice real beds in everyroom with only one bunk bed in the house, free tea, coffee, rice, salt pepper and a huge range of other spices and cooking oils. It is very clean all the time because everyone always cleans up after themselves.
Plus fast WiFi, Apple TV with Netflix and the secret gardens which is a small walk up the hill in the garden witch come to a view over nelson and the beach/port where you can put your tent up and camp next to a big fire and hammocks.
For the price you get an amazing place to stay, it is cheaper than most places and is more like a home full of friends than a backpacker.

Photos are of cable bay with some friends from the hostel only a short drive away.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Ottos Backpackers is definiteley the best hostel I`ve been to in New Zealand. I`ve traveled NZ for a year and never been to a nicer Hostel. It is more a home than a backpackers. Every room has its own bathroom and free towels that get changed once a week. The beds are super comfortable, there is only one bunk bed and every room has four or less beds. Accomodation is super cheap for what you get and you can even camp on top of a little hill. Up there is a campfire and hammocks and the view is just amazing. There`s free high speed WIFI, free herbs in the garden, free coffee, tea, sugar, oil and all kinds of spices. Even the laundry is for free. You can rent out bikes, fishing rods and sports gear for free. The place is super clean and you can tell it is decorated with love. I stayed here for over three months and made so many friends, only great people come to this hostel :-)

Room Tip: every room is nice
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

I spent 3 month at Ottos and really had a great time. The hostel is super super clean, the owner is really taking a lot of care of it. Each room has his own bathroom with shower and towels, what is just amazing. All rooms are decorated with love. You can use the washing machine for free and dryer is just 2$, coffee and tea is for free as well. There is a vege and herb garden and you can use everything for cooking so so great. There are beautiful outside areas where you can sit and chill. In the back of the hostel you can climb up a little mountain, camp there and enjoy the amazing view. Best best hostel so far in NZ, I would always come back. Lots of love to Otto
Melissa

Stayed: January 2017
Reviewed 7 January 2017

I spent 5 months at Otto's place and I had a great time. Each room has his own bathroom, no more than 4 people per dorm and the whole hostel is cleaned everyday. If you're looking for a friendly hostel to stay this is where you should go. I definitely recommend this hostel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2016

A surprise to find no linen in an ensuite room. No ventilation in the bathroom, smelt horrible. Kitchen not at all clean. Watching others washing their dishes in filthy water made me feel sick. Did not cook in there.

Room Tip: Dormer rooms had better ventilation.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank elliptica600
Otto B, Owner at The Fountain Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2016

Dear Elliptica600,

Firstly we have been unable to identify you as a guest, Secondly all our Rooms have Fresh Masion Dor Linen and have fresh towels, all rooms are prepared by professional house keepers and inspected by myself personally and are spotless. All bathrooms have Extractor which have their own switches which are clearly signed, our property was new renovated in 2014 and all extractor are BRAND NEW as is bedding. Our Kitchen was also completely renovated in 2014 and every appliance and fitting is new our sink/tap is a German Hanza system with Nelson water (maybe the purest tap water in the world), we have 2 housekeepers who clean the communal kitchen every morning and every evening and it is spotless!!! I have shown this posting to my housekeepers and we are baffles as to where this is from.. We are constantly full and have been since we've been opened and never ever had a single complaint.