“Business overnight”
Review of Oceano

Oceano
Ranked #128 of 214 Restaurants in Nelson
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you're looking to fuel up with a delicious breakfast at our Oceano Restaurant or wanting to quench your thirst at the Port o' Call Bar after a big day exploring New Zealand's sunshine capital, we'll have something to suit your needs. For dinner Rutherford Hotel Nelson has two highly regarded restaurants onsite, with Oceano offering an a la carte dinner menu, and Miyazu serving Japanese cuisine created using the freshest New Zealand produce. Before heading out for the day enjoy a relaxed breakfast soaking up the early morning sun at Oceano Restaurant. For evening dining, Oceano truly captures the essence of Nelson offering the freshest produce cooked to perfection, when in season select a crayfish from our live tank and have it cooked to your liking, the theatre kitchen
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Had an evening meal about 6pm, I thought service was a little slow considering there was only a few tables occupied. The meal I ordered was OK, I enjoyed the fresh vegetables, but the meat portion was a little dry and overcooked for my palate, but the excellent glass of Pinot helped wash it down. I enjoyed it OK, but I was expecting more.

AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear markshepherd2014,

thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.
I am disappointed to learn that your experience wasn't up to our usual standards for some parts of your meal.
Your comments have been passed on to our teams and I am certain we have been able remedy those issues.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.

Best regards

The team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

The seafood chowder tasted good but not great, the shrimp needed to be peeled and the broth was lacking mussel jus, too much cream. The accompanying toast was only cooked in one side.

The scallop dumplings were tasteless!

The pate tasted good, but had been whipped to death and was more air than substance.

Cheese platter was a good selection, but they had been poorly kept.

1  Thank classicchch

Dear classicchch,

thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.
Naturally I am disappointed to learn that your experience wasn't up to our usual standards.
We frequently receive very positive feedback about our food presentation and flavours.
However I have passed on your comments to our kitchen team.

I am certain that should you decide to give us another chance your experience will be a much better one.

Best regards

The Team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

A party of 7 decided to celebrate New Years with a meal at what we were hoping to be a great restaurant in central Nelson, as it's in our beautiful Rutherford hotel we presumed it would a fancy way to see in the new year... we were wrong what a joke , it started well and then went down hill after our orders were taken.. two of us ordered steak with a side order of salad , salad never arrived even asking three times! How can this even happen??? Three times!!! No one seem to care , no drinks often , dishes not cleared and we had to almost beg for a dessert menu and then when going to pay the man in kind of charge took astleast half an hour towork out our bill in which he tried to over charge us for another tables meals jyst terrible terrible service...the food was ok though .

3  Thank VickiR1149
AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear Vicki R,

thank you for your feedback. Naturally we are disappointed to hear that your evening was not an enjoyable one. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard as most of our guests comment positively on food and service.

I have discussed your comments around the slow service with our team and I am certain that we have been able to avoid this from happening in the future.
At Oceano Panorama Restaurant we pride ourselves with excellent service and locally sourced food produce presented in a more traditional style and a relaxed atmosphere.

Unfortunately the delays at the end can occur when a large table's tab is being paid individually, we will continue to offer this service to our diners however this will take time to do so.

While I cannot undo what unfortunately has been done I would like to offer you free dessert should you decide to give us another chance and dine with us again for an evening meal. Please contact the hotel if you wish to make use of this offer.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and hope to welcoming you again in the near future.

The Team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We‘ve enjoyed a great Christmas dinner at the Heritage Hotel Rutherford in Nelson.
The service has been attentive and friendly. The food has been savoury (mostly a buffet) and to our liking. Top were the salads and the Triffle as dessert. The selection of drinks has been reliable.

AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Dear BURGWIN,

thank you very much for choosing to dine with us on Christmas Day and for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our traditional "Kiwi-Christmas" Dinner buffet.
I will gladly share your comments with our teams at Oceano Panorama Restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards and a Happy New Year.

The team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Our party of four enjoyed dinner in The Oceano Restaurant. The food and service from the very friendly staff was first class. My lamb was perhaps the best I have ever tasted and my wife enjoyed her salmon.
Just two small points. My son in laws tuna was a little dry. Plus you need to have a look at some of the deserts which were bland. These are the only things that stopped me rating you five star. However we will dine there again as our evening was very pleasant.
Thank you.

AlexanderSiebentritt, Manager at Oceano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear silverhead2016,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. At the same time I am sorry to hear that some of your meals have not been to our usual standard. I have shared your comments with our chefs and am confident that this won't happen in the future.

We are quite excited about the all new Oceano Panorama Restaurant and our new seasonal menu.

We hope to see you again soon.

The team at Oceano Panorama Restaurant