All reviews small airport nice outdoor area would stay again motel unit accommodation phil nz host
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Good and very quick responses via email to my various queries. For the small airport in nelson, we awaited our pick up. Problem: we don't know what the owner looks like! So I use my precious Vodafone travel-sim minutes to call the hotel to get a meeting spot or a description of the man. Phone answered by his wife. While I'm asking where exactly to meet Phil and is there a cell phone on which I may contact him given the throngs of people on the street looking for their rides as well from my plane, the lady cuts me off mid sentence (yes I'm thorough with words sometimes, but I'm not as rude as this lady was). States: "if you stop, I'll TELL YOU! Look for a Toyota." Uh, lady, I don't know a thing about cars. There are 30 cars here. A lot of them are white. No idea which is a Toyota. "Is there another description, or a way for me to call your husband directly?" "No, I don't know what to tell you, look for his Toyota!" Well okay then. At that point, phil made a beeline right for us and picked us up in his car! Good eye he has.

In the ride over to the motel, he was a bit curt, but not everyone is as social as I am. No worries. Then he states how NZ sites need to charge the tourists because they're just "giving it all away for free!" Hmm. Could he dislike tourists (like we all do internally, don't lie) even though he makes his livelihood on tourism? Hmmmm. There wasn't really any information provided at check in once we got to his office. I had to ask specific questions, with a giant smile pasted on my face, to get the man to reluctantly give me any words back. Doesn't seem happy in his chosen line of work and it shows. Some anti-tourist sentiments also leak through in my perspective, but I may be wrong. I really wish his wife wouldn't answer the phone if she is not going to be pleasant to the paying customers. The next morning, at check out, Phil was much nicer. Talked to me without me having to prompt him. Maybe he was tired the night before. But in customer service and hospitality business, that is not allowed I think.

Room clean. Comfortable. Bathroom good.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Accomodation is right beside golf course and very handy to the airport. Clean comfortable rooms and our host was excellent.
Would stay again in the future. We went to the speights ale house for tea as they had a courtesy van to pick us up and drop off from motel.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 25 February 2018

Booked into this Motel for 3 nights. But only stayed for 1 night. We weren't happy with the unclean unit and were not prepared to stay in it for 3 nights. It looked like the unit hadn't even been vacuumed on finding egg shells on the carpet, crumbs of allsorts that were under the mat and on the table, fridge not wiped out and coffee spills in the draw. We made a complaint at the office where the owner was happy to refund us the full 3 nights which we had already paid for on arrival. We then received a call 3days later to say that he was not going to refund us for the 3 nights only 2 nights as we had been in the unit for 6hrs until making the complaint. Hence that we didnt notice the uncleaniness to later on & we were undecided whether to stay or not. The owner Phil then incinuated that we could have made the mess ourselves on the carpet and said that his cleaners had vaccumed. Which was totally so not true.My husband found him to be very arrogant and so rude to deal with while talking to him on the phone. We have stayed in alot of Motels before and this would be the worst and the owner needs to improve on his hospitality skills. We would never recommend this Motel to anybody else.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 8 January 2018

We had two separate one night stays here. The manager was friendly and helpful, and wasn't upset about the fact that we forgot to pay for our first night (he knew we were coming back a few days later and trusted us to pay then). The unit was a bit dated but clean and had all the basics we needed and the manager was very helpful in picking us up from the airport, recommended somewhere nearby for dinner etc.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Very homey lovely relaxing place to stay.
Lots of parking and close to restaurants so you don't have to go far. The rooms very spacious with a nice outdoor area to let the kids run around or just sit out in the fresh air and relax would recommend

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business