“True taste of Thailand”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2018

I came here from 3 and a half hours away just to have some thai food. Since I have been to Thailand, I know what real thai food tastes like. Also the prices are higher here in New zealand, so skeptic, I was pleasantly surprised when the first spoonful took me back to thailand, the flavours, good portion sizes, beautiful presentation, and lovely staff. I left pleased and happy with the meal, and it wasn't overly expensive either, when you do pay that amount though, you expect great tasting food, good portion size, and that thailand feeling. Tongtara certainly delivered. Was very busy, it deserves its popularity.

Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

We had the Hor Mok seafood curry on recommendation and the Satay chicken curry. So delicious and fresh and yummy combined with great service. A definitive must stop for dinner when in Nelson.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We grabed some takeaway on Friday night while staying over in Nelson from out of town. Fantastic food. Fresh, flavoursome, great portion sizes. Really good value for money. We couldnt fault anything. Thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definitely visit again when next in town.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

As a Thai, I would have to say this restaurant deserves a special place in my heart for creating such a wonderful cuisine in a foreign land where specific raw materials are hard to come by. I tried a few 'basic' Thai dishes and they all turned out to be extremely flavorful and satisfying. The staff are nice and super helpful. The ambience is nice and relaxing. Would certainly come back again if I come back to Nelson!

Reviewed 21 June 2018

This restaurant is truly extraordinary. The head chef must have tried very hard to devise his own recipes utilizing what's available in the country. I could feel the dishes have been somewhat 'adapted' but they were all wonderfully prepared to suit everyone's taste bud. Having these Thai dishes with a hot plate of high quality rice is just a wonderful experience. I look forward to coming back here again the next time I visit Nelson