See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 December 2018 via mobile

Friendly and helpful hosts with nice clean rooms and crisp linen/towels. The shared toilet & shower facilities were exceptionally clean & hygienic. Sun drenched rooms on the west side in the afternoons. Probably best value for money in Nelson. An old nurses home with funky 60s vibe. Good up to date info on things to do in region. Eleven out of ten.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2018

Affordable accommodation among a bit expensive Nelson City hotel scheme. Our room was OK with a bunk bed for 2 at the lower bed and 1 person at the upper bed. A bit small with very limited stuffs available in the room except the heater, that’s fine. Bathroom and toilet were shared as well as the shared kitchen, all clean and good. Bathroom’s hot water was timed to 7 minutes limit. Everything was basic but OK. On minor side, the location is a bit far from city centre and you need car to go to the city centre. During our night stay we smelled a bit unusual smell like oil smell, probably coming from the heater system, a bit annoying. A spacious dining room with several entertainment stuff and table tennis was also available. Anyway, you get what you paid. Parking is on the property.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

When my husband booked this lovely sounding lodge I pictured something rustic and romantic.
When I read what we'd printed off the day before arriving and discovered it was a HoStel not a Hotel I was not thrilled. I'm not a princess, but I'm not a "backpackers accommodation" kind of girl.
On first impression it reminded me of a homeless shelter I used to go to for work in the 90s, however the place is very tidy, clean and calm. The owners friendly and the room was comfy - the beds gave us our second best sleep of our entire trip to NZ! The kids loved the pool table, the tv room and the resident cat.
The shared bathrooms and kitchens, although dated, were 100% clean and tidy.

Best part is that it was quiet. The noise rules (& heavy curtains) meant that we slept soundly each night which was much appreciated.

I'm not converted to hostel travel, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank theb912
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Perfect place to stay for reasonable money. The owners are extremely friendly and helpful. We felt so welcome. The original house is a jewel which still needs a lot of renovation. We definitely recommend it ! Thanks Melissa and Simon !

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

So many good things to say about walkathon lodge. Will defo be telling friends ! Lovely owners who were welcoming and helpful 5 stars from us :) free wifi too which was good to keep up with emails etc

Trip type: Travelled as a couple