See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

When my husband booked this lovely sounding lodge I pictured something rustic and romantic.
When I read what we'd printed off the day before arriving and discovered it was a HoStel not a Hotel I was not thrilled. I'm not a princess, but I'm not a "backpackers accommodation" kind of girl.
On first impression it reminded me of a homeless shelter I used to go to for work in the 90s, however the place is very tidy, clean and calm. The owners friendly and the room was comfy - the beds gave us our second best sleep of our entire trip to NZ! The kids loved the pool table, the tv room and the resident cat.
The shared bathrooms and kitchens, although dated, were 100% clean and tidy.

Best part is that it was quiet. The noise rules (& heavy curtains) meant that we slept soundly each night which was much appreciated.

I'm not converted to hostel travel, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank theb912
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Perfect place to stay for reasonable money. The owners are extremely friendly and helpful. We felt so welcome. The original house is a jewel which still needs a lot of renovation. We definitely recommend it ! Thanks Melissa and Simon !

Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

So many good things to say about walkathon lodge. Will defo be telling friends ! Lovely owners who were welcoming and helpful 5 stars from us :) free wifi too which was good to keep up with emails etc

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Lovely little hostel with cheerful rooms and very friendly hosts. My husband and I stayed here for one night after leaving a particularly noisy hostel. This was the best sleep I've had in my entire life! Thank you Simon and family for hosting us. We will recommend to all of our friends visiting Nelson!

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

What a great place to stay. I was expecting something close to a backpackers, but instead this place is much closer to a hotel. The bathrooms & showers were clean, and maintained throughout the day by dedicated staff. The shower is on a 7 minute timer which is more than enough.
We stayed during easter, and in the morning they put chocolates outside the door of each room which was magical & made our day (:
There were also bikes for us to use which was really helpful!
Loved using the pool table & the communal lounge was huge.
Would happily stay here again - I was sad to leave!

Date of stay: April 2017