See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

So many good things to say about walkathon lodge. Will defo be telling friends ! Lovely owners who were welcoming and helpful 5 stars from us :) free wifi too which was good to keep up with emails etc

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Lovely little hostel with cheerful rooms and very friendly hosts. My husband and I stayed here for one night after leaving a particularly noisy hostel. This was the best sleep I've had in my entire life! Thank you Simon and family for hosting us. We will recommend to all of our friends visiting Nelson!

Date of stay: December 2017
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

What a great place to stay. I was expecting something close to a backpackers, but instead this place is much closer to a hotel. The bathrooms & showers were clean, and maintained throughout the day by dedicated staff. The shower is on a 7 minute timer which is more than enough.
We stayed during easter, and in the morning they put chocolates outside the door of each room which was magical & made our day (:
There were also bikes for us to use which was really helpful!
Loved using the pool table & the communal lounge was huge.
Would happily stay here again - I was sad to leave!

Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed 17 March 2017

We had a double room with a very comfortable bed, linen very clean. Bathrooms and toilets spotless, kitchens have everything you need. Owners are trying very hard to save power, water, and recycle rubbish. Easy access to town.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth S
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I actually booked this hostel based solely on TripAdvisor reviews and got really disappointed - no offense, maybe its just me as majority of the reviews were excellent. But I guess we have different opinions.

The hostel seems like a hospital converted into a villa - feels and looks like a hospital. The rooms and sheets were clean, though. But the overall atmosphere really didn't do it for me. It was rather gloomy and a lil bit creepy. The walls are paper thin. You hear everything, really. No wonder they provide free orange ear plugs.

Things could've been better if the shared toilets were clean - but seriously they were not. It looks like it needed a really good scrubbing. And not only that, it has the worst shower! They've put in a 5 min timer. That means you have to be very very quick, otherwise there will be no water and you have to stand there cold, wet and wait for another 5 min before you can resume! I've been to different Top 10 Holiday Parks and some of them have a 15 min shower for $50c - I would gladly pay for it just to have a decent shower.

For $80 a night, go somewhere else near the central city, somewhere in Trafalgar Street and have a good night sleep. I wont be back even if I get a free night.

Date of stay: February 2017