“Great coffee and yummy danish for a late breakfast”

The Swedish Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Nelson
Cuisines: Swedish
Description: Lovers of handcrafted artisan breads such as Levain sourdough bread, european style pastries and handmade Belgian chocolates will feel right at home at the Swedish Bakery & Cafe. Our friendly, intimate bakery & cafe is a magnet for those seeking an authentic taste of Europe and a great cup of locally roasted, organic fairtrade espresso coffee.
Reviewed 22 March 2018

Cute little bakery. Both my coffee and apple danish were perfect. The subtle cardamon after taste was uniquely special.

I overheard the staff saying that they had to create extra shelf space for their almond croissants ever since someone gave a glowing review on TA. I didn't try one but I will be sure to the next time I am in Nelson.

2  Thank Brad K

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I know I have reviewd this cafe before (over 1 yr ago) but I just have to say again how good it is. Yes, the premises are tiny & the staff can sometimes be run off their feet (as it's so popular) but it is well worth a viist. The cinnamon buns and cinnamon & rasin bagels in particular are great. The vegetarian quiches and salads (different every day) are supberb too. If you go by this place you're missing out on a real treat and the staff are all such lovely, helpful people. I can't help but go back week after week!

Reviewed 30 December 2017

With a friend who lives here in Nelson, who visits here every week,we visited upon her high recommendation. My husband had ordered a second coffee each for 3 of us, when the baker/owner seemingly stressed, literally shouted at us not to stay long as she only has 2 tables outside!? I tried to explain we had ordered more drinks and were waiting for them and already eaten croissants (slightly overbaked but no problem) but she did not listen and raised her voice even more about hurrying up!! No way to run a business so rude and unwelcoming. As a cafe proprietor myself I totally understand the need for a turnover on tables but not while you're customers are still waiting for their order! We shall not return...

1  Thank Sharon C
swebak, Owner at The Swedish Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

We are a very small Bakery with only 10 seats to enjoy a quick coffee & tea with our baked goods. Most of our regular customers respect that others would like to sit down as well. Yesterday on our busiest Saturday of the year, you moved the only 2 outdoor tables together blocking the street, sitting for over an hour, then ordering another round while others had to walk away...sorry that I finally had to remark on your inconsiderate behavior..when yet another pot of tea was to be slowly consumed...As a visitor to Nelson you will be unaware that this issue of blocking one of our few tables has been a long standing problem with one of your group, even leading to a formal written complaint from another customer, who will no longer come in.
I suggest you take your Saturday morning coffee and tea at a much larger chain cafe with plenty of seating where you can sit for several hours undisturbed and where they bake off their bakeoff croissant a bit lighter for you... as a cafe proprietor I would of expected more consideration for others from you ..... lets hope 2018 brings some positives with it.....thanks Bronwyn

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Popped in to pick up filled rolls for lunch and was tempted by the almond croissants and coffee-
Fabulous croissant, light and flaky with a scrumptious filling and covered with loads of beautifully toasted almonds- an absolute treat

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

This place does the best baking.....filled rolls and a scrummy daily salad to choose from as well as pastries and sweet treats that satisfy the most discerning palate. I regularly come here to buy a quick takeaway for lunch when at work and am never disappointed. Try the snips, pastries and the bread selection- all are delicious