The Prince Albert Backpackers
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Average 3/5
  • Pool
All reviewsfree breakfastcourtyard areabar attacheddrink specialsnew zealandbangers and mashmovie roomfree bike hireprivate roomperfect hostelback packersbed dormrooms are cleanenjoyed staying herethe kitchencommon areasexploring nelson
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2017

My friend and I stayed over New Years in the Prince Albert in a four bed dorm. This backpacker is friendly, clean and has the feel of home away from home. Having the bar attached to the premises meant we could meet people and eat and drink with the friendly locals of Nelson. The breakfast was lovely, staff friendly and helpful and the location perfect.

Room Tip: The rooms on the floor level had hammocks out front and another available bathroom.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2017

This hostel has a great breakfast(waffles!!!!) and helpful staff. Good beds and the location is good. Really enjoyed my 3 nights here. Only minus is that you can't use the stove in the kitchen after 9pm. the dinners you buy in the bar are average, but cheap!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Henriette Andre... H
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We stayed in a double room en suite. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom comparatively spacious and clean. Very good value for money. The location is decent, roughly 10-15 min walk to the city center. Nice common area and cool people to share a wine in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights whilst exploring the area. Double room was spacious and had all the basics. Kitchen was small but had everything we needed and was well organised but to be honest we didn't use it much as we ate out most nights. We did make use of the $10 meal once which is so handy that I'm surprised anyone bothers to cook for themselves. Free wifi is a must nowadays so it's great they have it but ours didn't work in our room at all. We did tell the staff at least 3 times but it didn't improve, luckily being Kiwis we had our own data to use but could have been more of an issue for others? Free breakfast was awesome, we missed it a couple of days as we headed out earlier than the 8-9 slot but the waffles are an awesome idea! Overall a great stay in one of the best backpackers around - Mike was a superb host who even found me a local doctors I could visit when I was sick! Would definitely recommend a stay here if you're in Nelson.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2016

I had high hopes for this place with all the great reviews, but for me it wasn't for me. The room we stayed in looked very clean but it smelled like pot and definitely is a hazard for people with allergies. Me and my companions were all congested from something lurking in the room. We were told it had recently flooded and I suspect it may not have been fixed properly. Another downside is that the bathroom gets super wet and lacks sufficient counter space. Despite those items, the staff was really very nice and the restaurant and common areas looked very good.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends