The Prince Albert Backpackers
Rutherford Hotel Nelson(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$151
  • Pool
Arcadia Motel(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$84
Delorenzos Studio Apartments(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$86
The Sails Nelson(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$136
Priceline
Trailways Hotel Nelson(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$110
US$105
Beaches Nelson(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$87
Orbitz.com
Palazzo Motor Lodge(Nelson)(Great Value!)
US$101
TripAdvisor
The Bug Backpackers(Nelson)(Great Value!)
Harbourside Lodge(Nelson)(Great Value!)
All reviewsfree breakfastcourtyard areabar attacheddrink specialsnew zealandbangers and mashmovie roomfree bike hireprivate roomperfect hostelback packersbed dormrooms are cleanenjoyed staying herethe kitchencommon areasexploring nelson
Reviewed 29 February 2016

We stayed only one nigh at Prince Albert and I say that sadly. We had a lovely room in a good location with great facilities. We wish that we had had more time to enjoy the pub and the outdoor patio. I have no hesitation about recommending the Prince Albert.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2016

The room with its en suite and the facilities are all really nice and it's close to walk to town, with plenty of parking. Great to get free breakfast too. The only thing that spoilt it was AI was not lucky with my dorm mates who thought it was ok to talk at any time of day or night

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

Truly a great bang for your buck! Clean rooms, clean bathrooms, excellent WiFi, generous breakfast and a late check out - what more could you want as a traveler? The hosts were very accommodating and even helped us find accommodation for the next night when they were booked.

Stayed: February 2016
Reviewed 10 February 2016

My friend and I chose Prince Albert because of the great reviews about service, and were surprised to have a very different experience. We found the owner was incredibly rude towards us. When we arrived mid-morning the owner seemed a bit grumpy and tired, and not very keen to interact with us. When we returned early eve to move into our rooms, we asked what room we were in and were told "Room 5, like I told you" in an annoyed tone. We went out for dinner and returned at 9.45pm. The front door was locked. We hadn't been given any instructions and could see the owner inside, so knocked. When the owner came to the door he said in an annoyed tone that he'd told us to come in the back way. When we said he hadn't told us he proceeded to argue with us, saying he tells everyone this, and something like "oh yes, just like I didn't tell you it was room 5." When we asserted that he didn't tell us he continued to argue with us. I eventually said "No you didn't tell us, and why are you arguing with us!". We couldn't believe it. Even if we had both somehow blanked on him telling us, it's hardly normal to argue so aggressively with customers. It was late at night so we stayed. We knew he had advised the breakfast time in the morning, and both thought he'd said until 10am, but couldn't remember for sure. We checked the info on the wall of our room but it said that breakfast times vary. We certainly weren't going to check with him! We arrived for breakfast at 9.10am. We could see a waffle maker and some cereal. My friend politely asked the owner whether it was make your own waffles (this was after she had said "hello" in a friendly way a couple of times and he'd ignored her). He completely lost it at this point, saying he told us breakfast finished at 9am, that he'd also told us the room number and night entrance, that we don't listen - "just yabba, yabba, yabba" - he actually motioned with his hand like a talking puppet while saying this! He said he says the same things to every guest and wouldn't forget. I said he had seemed very tired when we arrived. He said, as though it was our fault, "Yeah I am tired, I'm tired every day!". I told him he was being very rude and he said that I was the one who had snapped the previous night and "I am this close to kicking you girls out". He then told us we had until 11am to pack our bags and he would give us a refund and help us find another hostel. We returned to our room, organised alternative accommodation, and left. When we returned downstairs we did get a refund, and he even offered to order us a taxi, but he was being very cold about it all. We couldn't believe we had been kicked out of a hostel! My friend later overheard someone else saying that she'd got into an argument with the manager of the Prince Albert. We can only assume that something was going on while we were staying, as obviously it wouldn't be possible to maintain a customer base if the service was always this rude. We have never written a bad review on here before, but we thought it was important to share our experience.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank suse2016
Reviewed 8 February 2016

I spent one week in a double room and really enjoyed my stay! The staff is very friendly, the food is excellent, it's very close to the center but quiet, has a laundry, kitchen, wifi, barbecue, bikes - everything you could possibly need, even waffles for breakfast :-)

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo