Lowest prices for your stay
$156
Fully refundable before Fri, 24 May
No booking fees
Liv
Wellington, New Zealand

Probably a flash hotel back in the day!

Review of The Beachcomber
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Mar 2024
My husband, seven year old daughter and I enjoyed a one night stay here.

The staff are pleasant and helpful. We stayed in a large studio.

The room was clean, but very dated. The hotel had poor pressure and was hard to get got enough.

There was a fridge and toaster in room which was helpful. There is only one sink in the bathroom so we were given a bucket to wash dishes up in which was different and not easy.

My husband and daughter enjoyed the view.

The restaurant is closed here. We had a nice pub lunch next door and when wanted a light dinner headed to Subway which was walking distance.

This hotel gives the vibe that it was flash a while ago, but now pretty average. Was good for a one night family stay.
Date of stay: March 2024
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
3.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
The Beachcomber Hotel, Owner at The Beachcomber, responded to this review
Responded 3 weeks ago
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, it is much appreciated. We welcome the opportunity to address areas of improvement from our guests perspective and enjoy hearing how each stay went. We hope you and your family had a nice time, and wish you all the best.
$173
1.7 km from The Beachcomber
    $271
3.7 km from The Beachcomber
View more hotels in Nelson
All reviews shower water pressure tahunanui beach swimming pool short walk to the beach perfect location rooms are spacious central nelson walking distance new zealand
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 March 2024 via mobile

A very comfortable hotel just across the road from the beach .Room was well equipped, bed was comfy ,good housekeeping. We were though on the second floor .I don't think I would have wanted to be on the ground floor .
The hotel is a short car drive out of the town centre .But there are a couple of very good pub restaurants close by .

Room tip: Must be on the second floor
Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank alistairb1954
The Beachcomber Hotel, Owner at The Beachcomber, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

HI there, thank you very much for your review, I'm sure all future guests at our hotel would find this feedback helpful. We hope you had a great time on your stay, and hope to see you again. All the best!

Reviewed 29 February 2024 via mobile

When I book a hotel I have expectations.
Is it
- Clean
-Tidy
-Priced reasonably
- Location
And yes it met all expectations. Little disappointed that the restaurant isn’t up and running but plenty of places in walking distance. For what I paid I can’t complain… perhaps a bigger shower but that’s just being picky..

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Kerry, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is much appreciated. We are so pleased you enjoyed the premium room for your stay. We hope you had a nice time in the area, and that will you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2024

Well positioned motel, close to beach and off the main road. The deluxe apartments have air con, well worth the extra cost. Apartment furnished adequately though all doors need rehanging as difficult to open/close. Kitchen and bathroom cabinets tired need new doors. Kitchen has all facilities needed to self cater and furniture comfortable. Note apartment had a sauna though not tried out. Curtains need some new hooks as well. Room okay 3 star and reasonable value for money, air con made the difference for us. Staff helpful and on site washing machine foc with industrial tumble drier, $2 a load

Room tip: Get the accomodation with air con
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi, thank you very much for providing this very helpful feedback. We are glad you got to try one of our deluxe suits, which we are aware are ready for some upgrades but for the most part are a lot of fun to stay in. We certainly hope you had a great time on your stay. All the best, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2023 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews but I saw the lead review for the Deluxe Room and had to respond. Unfortunately, the property certainly does not live up to that review. We stayed here last week for two nights. If we hadn't organised a full day trip we would've moved.
The kitchenette is dated and the units are scraped and bashed.
The bathroom is awful. Nothing has been done since the 70s I expect. The cold bath tap doesn't work. The jets and spa set up haven't been used in years and are broken. There's a piece of paper Sellotaped to the tiles reading 'spa temporarily out of use'. The shower curtain was disgusting. Surely, that could be replaced in minutes?
Many of the single glazed units don't open. It was boiling when we returned from our trip. There are only electric heaters if the weather is cold. Clean sheets and towels. For reference to UK customers this is 2* at best and I'm being generous. Way past it's time for a total refurbishment.

Room tip: Avoid at all costs
Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank W6102WEirenem

Hi there, thank you for providing this feedback, it was greatly appreciated how you brought these issues to our attention so we were able to address them. We always welcome direction from guests on areas from improvement and yours was very helpful. We hope you had a lovely summer, and wish you all the best.

Reviewed 29 March 2023

I stayed at this lovely hotel as part of a self-guided motorcycle tour that was organized by a motorcycle tour company. I really enjoyed my stay in Nelson and was impressed with the Beachcomber and the friendly and helpful people I met at the front desk. I was also intrigued by the well maintained grounds and architecture of the hotel. I happened to leave my watch on a windowsill as it is solar powered and must occasionally be charged. It was just an inexpensive Casio that I use when I'm travelling but it certainly has sentimental value to me. I've taken it to Europe, Japan, India, Maldives, Qatar, Australia, and now New Zealand. It was so very kind of hotel staff to find my watch and, on their own initiative, mail it to a forward destination in Auckland for me to retrieve. It was and is truly appreciated.

Date of stay: February 2023