All reviewsshower over the bathlarge hotelpublic areasconference venuegood sizegreat townnew zealandreception staffcentral locationbit datedbars and restaurantsmini barfree wifiappointed roomscomfortable bedfew minutes walkcentre of town
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I stayed at the Rutherford Nelson Hotel while attending a 3-day conference in Nelson. The hotel has several restaurants and a coffee shop and is just a few minutes walk from the heart of Nelson.

I was impressed by the cleanliness of the rooms and the common areas. I was fortunate enough to have a quiet suite situated in the corner on a high floor. The room was spacious and clean with a modern bathroom. It also had a kitchenette with coffee and tea available. The bed was very comfortable, and the temperature comfortable.

Front desk staff was helpful. Checkout took a bit longer because of an error with the credit card, but the manager was able to resolve it quickly. Staff available to store bags, help plan activities, and arrange transportation.

Breakfast was included with my rate--continental and hot buffets plus à la carte available. Breakfast staff members were cheerful. The continental food selections were broad including breads, cereals, fruits, cheeses, and coffees and teas. Espresso drinks could be ordered à la carte.

The hotel also had excellent meeting room facilities. Space was ample and easily accessible from guest rooms and the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for room with windows looking at the cathedral for a nice view and sunrise
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeffrey K
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I had always thought the exterior rather bland, but the inside of the building is lovely. The hotel is spotless, the staff very friendly and helpful, the food wonderful.

I especially enjoyed the free parking in their carpark, unlike other places which charge a parking fee.

We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

My second stay at The Rutherford Hotel in Nelson. I really love the grandness of this hotel. It's fairly old, having been opened in the early 70's, but it's still a lovely place to stay. Our room overlooked the city, Montgomery Square and the Cathedral. Would stay here again

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2017

Nelson is a compact, small city and easy to get about but the Rutherford Hotel is very central. It has an excellent restaurant which serves superb food and whose chef is keen to receive feedback directly from customers. Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
AlexanderSiebentritt, Front Office Manager at Rutherford Hotel Nelson, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2017

Dear Colin M

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Rutherford Hotel Nelson and for choosing our hotel as your place of rest and relaxation.

I am please to hear that you had a great experience at our restaurant. The team and I look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back on future travels.

Kind regards,

Fumie Iwai
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

This was probably a really nice place when it was first built. Due to lack of maintenance and upgrades it's very dated and a bit run down.

On this stay the aircon would not heat the room and so it was freezing cold. The same thing happened to my colleague on this and previous trips as well so clearly not an isolated incident.

The beds are very comfortable but the curtains don't quite block out the light.

The wifi is a joke! 300mb allowance. What is this, 1999?

On the plus, the food is ok, the staff are friendly and it has a good sized gym!

If it was my money I wouldn't stay here.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kristoffer N

Dear Kristoffer N,

Thank you for staying with Rutherford Hotel Nelson.

I am sorry to hear your experience and inconvenience caused, however I would like to thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. The heating units have been assessed by technicians and the heating issue was isolated and as mentioned it has been corrected. I will discuss your comments regarding wifi with our management team and we will take those into consideration for future improvement.

I am glad that you enjoyed the quality of the bed, the food and service. Once again, thank you so much for leaving us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Fumie Iwai