All reviewscity lightssunshine cottagefarm animalsgrandma's cottagefeed the animalsfarm staytasman baythis wonderful placeown mealsgreat hoststwo nightsnelson town centrerachelpropertykitchenaccommodations
Reviewed 13 April 2015

I had to shorten our planned stay at Harris Hill Cottages from 3 days to 1 thanks to having to deal with the tides' effect on the ecotours to Farewell Spit. But I was determined to stay here at least one night after a rave review on the Fodor Forum trip reports. The rave was not wrong. I can't imagine a more incredible view way up high across the Tasman Bay all the way to Farewell Spit than is provided by this property. You know all those views you can't really look at because you're going around a hairpin curve? This is that kind of view, only you can look at it all you want from your porch or picture window up here in heaven. The homes at the bottom of the hill are cute suburbanish houses, so it's a surprise when you turn onto Sue's road and it goes up and up and up, complete with hairpin turns and the traditional kiwi lack of guard rails, and ends in a sheep farm. The grazing land is so steep I think the sheep were standing on the sides of their hooves. My husband said he was not driving that road in the dark after a beer, so we ended up finishing up our leftover pate, etc., with a bottle of wine in our cottage, called City Lights. (Sue pointed out that no one has ever fallen off the road, but he had been driving hairpins for a month in NZ, this was our last night, and I think he was done!) I had booked a smaller unit with a beautiful view for $155 but Sue had upgraded us to City Lights, a 2-bedroom space with a wide porch that overlooks the lights of Nelson and its port. The main bedroom has its own huge picture window. The perfect stay here would be for several days when it stays light later. I can imagine taking day trips to the various sights of the region, picking up something to eat or cook on the way back, then settling in for the night to watch the sun set. Sue and her daughter Rachel are super friendly, and Rachel told us that she and her four siblings had grown up on the place, and at least some of them appear to live here in a compound. There are tons of sheep (and bread to feed to them), a couple of fat ponies (my daughter in her youth would have spent the entire stay grooming them), and a range of dogs. Kids would love this place. There's free wifi, all the equipment you could need (plus a few helpful extras like random herbs and tin foil), great water pressure, and a beautiful tv. City centre Nelson is a 10-minute drive away; Collingwood is a little over two hours. Don't miss this.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2015

What a find! This property is one of a kind. Location, location, location. Sitting high up on a hill at the end of a mile long drive, Harris Hill cottages offer the most amazing views over Nelson and Abel Tasman. The sunsets up here are amazing. I can't really think of enough superlatives to do justice to this place. You might find a better
location but it could take a hell of a long time.

We stayed in Maggie's cottage. It is well equipped having everything you would expect. It has 3 bedrooms, more than ample for our party of 3. The views from the deck are truly gobsmacking. They are just to die for! Add to this wonderful owners (thanks Rachel who saved my life by providing cold beers when I arrived). It's no surprise that visitors return year after year, some for the complete season. A delightful property in a fabulous location with wonderful owners. Who could ask for more?

Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2015 via mobile

We stayed at Grandma's Cottage in Harris Hills Cottages for 2 nights and it was the best stay we had in our 2 week New Zealand vacation. We wanted a country cottage experience and this did NOT let us down! The view from the cottage was amazing! So many animals roamed around the cottage and you could see them through the windows and even walk up to them. The cottage had a fireplace which was so nice and it was so private and cosy. I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a stay in a cosy, quiet and country atmosphere.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John B
Reviewed 17 January 2015

I could not recommend this place more. We had such a great time. Firstly the guys who run it are incredibly friendly and helpful. Our son loved hanging with, and feeding, the farm animals. The drive up to the cottages was an adventure in itself and the view from our cottage was spectacular once we reached the top of the hill. The cottage was superbly kitted out and very comfortable with plenty of space outside for our son to run around. All in all a brilliant choice.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2015

I had a wonderful time on this farm! From the first day on, they make you feel like a family member. Rachel, Sue and the whole family are lovely, very open-minded and hospitable.
They made sure that I visit the town and the beach and you can feed all the animals if you like.
All the other guests I met were very friendly!
The location is awesome, you can enjoy a great view over Nelson and Abel Tasman.
Unfortunately I could only stay one week, I would rather stay there longer!
I really enjoyed the time and would recommend everybody to stay there!

• Stayed: January 2015