All reviews double room the kitchen free wifi foosball table the main block bus station abel tasman late check free breakfast in the morning shared bathroom a nice place to stay bunk beds long term minute walk town centre washing machine south island
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I have to say that the other guest I met staying here were wonderful, but the hostel is a bit disgusting. The rooms and bathrooms were kept clean, but the kitchen was a cesspit. Constant piles of dirty dishes and door left wide open all day with no screen meant insects everywhere! Including cockroaches, ants, spiders and flies. The fridges stink, step back before you open the door! The WiFi was great, and unlimited when it was working. The bunk beds, however, were tiny. Most definitely designed for children. Overall the hostel has a nice vibe, but for comfort and cleanliness, perhaps book something else.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Stayed in a double room pre and post doing the Abel Tasman Coast Track. Close to the airport but about a good 20 minute walk to supermarkets and town centre (be mindful if you are carrying luggage from the iSite bus stop).

Room was clean, but the bed hadn't been made up when we first arrived... in fact, the young guy asked if we actually wanted a new sheet or if what was there 'would do'. But other than that, people were really friendly. Used the washing and drying facilities, and kitchen, and it was all pretty standard for a hostel.

Crowd was very young but not a partying crowd. Very friendly, respectful and enthusiastic. Great vibe in that respect so a good place if travelling alone if you enjoy interesting chats, etc...

Also worth pointing out that they let us keep luggage there in a locked shed while we were trekking, which was super helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms in the building adjacent to the main building are older but quieter
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2017

In this hostel you can find everything you need. Free wifi, nice showers and toilets, laundry, well appointed kitchen, bread and jam for breakfast, nice people and a big garden to enjoy the sun. The owner was very helpful and drove me to the busstation in the morning.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2017

The bug backpackers is the best backpacker that I have done in New-Zealand, it's a very nice and comfortable place with a lovely garden, the ambiance is pleasant. The owners Mike and Stephanie are very friendly and interesting people! I had a good time there, I won't forget this special place. Thanks, Mathilde

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2017

This house was located quiet place, and the host was very kind.
I stayed only 1 night though, I felt so comfortable. I felt like being at home.
I want to stay here again when I visit Nelson.
Thank you so much!