All reviews double room the kitchen free wifi foosball table the main block bus station abel tasman late check free breakfast in the morning shared bathroom a nice place to stay bunk beds long term minute walk town centre washing machine south island
Reviewed 13 November 2017

In this hostel you can find everything you need. Free wifi, nice showers and toilets, laundry, well appointed kitchen, bread and jam for breakfast, nice people and a big garden to enjoy the sun. The owner was very helpful and drove me to the busstation in the morning.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2017

The bug backpackers is the best backpacker that I have done in New-Zealand, it's a very nice and comfortable place with a lovely garden, the ambiance is pleasant. The owners Mike and Stephanie are very friendly and interesting people! I had a good time there, I won't forget this special place. Thanks, Mathilde

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2017

This house was located quiet place, and the host was very kind.
I stayed only 1 night though, I felt so comfortable. I felt like being at home.
I want to stay here again when I visit Nelson.
Thank you so much!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2017

My friend and I were received in a very friendly way by a German staff member who ran us through the place's policies and habits, telling us about the whens and the hows and the wheres.

This hostel has a great no-party policy, which is ideal if you value your sleep after a long day of hiking in Abel Tasman.

The kitchen is quite clean, as everybody is compelled to clean up after themselves by the constant monitoring of the cooking facilites.

Our dorm was in the secondary building, which has a shower unit and a kitchen. It was warm and comfy, especially since we were there in winter. Simple, clean beds, but no storage units whatsoever, which in my book is a big letdown. The six beds gave the dorm a bit of a cramped feel but it was ok in the end. The place does get quite damp and there is tad bit of a musty smell in the hallways and bathroom but it is very clean otherwise.

Free breakfast in the morning, always a plus when travelling on a budget. Free WIFI as well. Bonus points.

The one thing that I found bizarre was a total lack of atmopshere. I apprciate the non-partying policy, but there was none of the friendly social vibe I usually find in hostels.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2017

The owner is super nice, and the hostel itself is clean and has good homey vibes. There are bikes that can be rented for 3 hours for free, which makes up for the fact that the hostel is about 30 minutes walking distance to Nelson city center. There is a laundry machine for 3 NZ$, the beds are comfy, unlimited wifi, the kitchen is well supplied and the best couch ever is available for sitting on in the living room. Price is also very reasonable, 24 NZ$ per night for the 8 bedroom dorm. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends