“Worse restaurant in Nelson”

Bacco Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #34 of 214 Restaurants in Nelson
Price range: US$14 - US$26
Description: Bacco is the Roman God of Wine, Bacco Restaurant and Wine Bar changed its ownership and name from Café Affair in October 2016. We are a premium wine bar/restaurant with an Italian/European spin to our dishes. We are all about fresh, local ingredients where possible and we have a food matching our premium wines philosophy. Bacco has a wine club and holds Degustation dinners bi-monthly.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Food was horrible and greasy- service was bad and dishonest. We were overcharged $30 - they were not able to show us a detailed receipt.

Milcrest, Owner at Bacco Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Worst customer we have ever had in the restaurant. I served this table a table of 5 adults and 3 children. 7 of the 8 were very pleasant and all enjoyed their meals. I even had my chef create a meal for one of the children that was not even on the menu. The issue with the writer was that she ordered a seafood chowder, then wanted to change it to a kids meal for herself. Our policy is that kids meals are for kids under 12. This clearly annoyed the writer and so she stayed with the chowder. The chowder was served and she ordered my staff member to take it away saying it was the worst dish she had ever tasted. Interestingly enough a gentleman at the next table ordered the same dish and stated it was the best chowder he had ever eaten!!!!! The writers husband paid and was charged a holiday 10% surcharge which was clearly displayed. He was offered a detailed receipt but declined. The American women returned to the Restaurant a few minutes later and was incredibly rude threatened to put a bad review on trip adviser, which I believe she was going to do from the minute she was told she couldn’t have a kids meal. She was not overcharged at all and in fact She was undercharged as she was refunded $20 for the dish which cost $18. On reflection perhaps a kids meal should have been served as it would have matched the behaviour of the writer

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Didn’t book but staff fitted us in and made sure we had a quietish table in a busy restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service. The pace of service was just right and we all managed and absolutely enjoyed our three course meal plus coffee. Just how we can visit again on our next trip to N Z.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We had the best steak yet in New Zealand. My wife has severe food allergies and the staff and kitchen were all extremely helpful and the resultant meal and wine were FAB. Would recommend this without any hesitation.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

My partner had the seafood squid ink linguine which was delicious and a generous portion. I had 2 entree: tuna and duck. Both delicious. The restaurant owner also owns Millcrest vineyard: the Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and Montepulciano were all very good. The dark chocolate tart was memorable.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Wanted somewhere to enjoy a meal on a Tuesday night and chose Bacco - lucky for us!
The staff here are exceptional from the friendly welcome when we stepped through their fancy swing doors to their banter and subtle attentiveness makes for a good dining experience.
Then there's the food! Delicious, fresh, great flavours and good portions. I had the mushroom gnocci with its delecate flavours mmmm very good, my husband enjoyed his swordfish and our son devoured his melt in the mouth venison but couldnt finish the delectable chocolate torte! I had the mango mousse which was my least favourite dessert after sampling the torte althoughI wished I had chosen the rhubarb and the berry crumble after I tasted some of my husbands!
There's a great selection of beer and wine and other beverages to suit everyone.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner you will be impressed here is a reasonably priced restaurant that knows how to give their customers the best experience.
Indoor or outdoor dining with more tables upstairs for larger groups. Would also be good for a romatic meal or business meeting.
Thank you team we will be back.