Lowest prices for your stay
US$105
View deal
Free cancellation until 02/07/21
Hotels.com
eDreams
Booking.comUS$105
Priceline
Expedia.comUS$105
All reviews pub food english country pub english style upstairs room couple of nights comfy bed accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2020

I've just had the MOST bizarre experience, speaking to the bar manager about a jazz band rehearsal in The Honest Lawyer's barn. Having driven two musician friends to the venue, the manager prevented me from taking a couple of drinks to them on the grounds that I 'hadn't been invited' and that she'd 'told me there was no rehearsal'.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding (between her and the band?) but all of this went on until my friends eventually came to look for me. At this point I got to join them. Not withstanding the fact that she was gracious enough to apologise, I've had happier encounters with airport security. Not what I expected. Really, REALLY poor!

Date of stay: September 2020
Honest Lawyer, Other at The Honest Lawyer, Ascend Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2020

Hi,
Thanks for your review, although I feel some points have been missed from your review.
When you first arrived, you asked if the jazz was playing. I explained to you that unfortunately as our jazz band usually play outside in our garden, due to the weather and fathers day, they had cancelled their performance today. You responded with disappointment, but said you understood.

A few moments later, a bar staff contacted me to say you were upset you were told you couldn’t go to the jazz, but you could hear the music from one of our private functions, and someone had said they were there, so you were going down there.
When I came to see you, you had just purchased drinks, and were walking out the door, you told me you were heading to the private function to listen to the music. I asked if you were a guest of the private function, you said you weren’t. I explained the function in our barn was a private function and not open to the public. You told me you had seen 2 ladies, who heard the music and were down there so you wanted to go also. I explained that the barn was a private function area, (separated from our public restaurant with a large wall and gate) and the group who had hired it requested it to be invited guests only (family and friends of the band only).

You kept wanting me to go and ask if you could join their private function, however due to respecting the wishes of the private function it was not possible, I explained this was not suitable as they had requested invite only, which you said you hadn’t been invited by the band.

The function in the barn afterwards thanked us for keeping it private for their Father’s Day function and graciously accepted we had tried to do our best to keep it a private event for their family and friends for them only.

Reviewed 31 August 2020 via mobile

What a friendly place. Beautiful location overlooking the water - our room had a great view. Immaculately clean and comfortable room. So quiet... Fantastic shower, comfy bed, what else do you need!? Highly recommended :)

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2020

We stayed 3 nights in a so called delux king room.

It was winter and quite cold in Nelson. Despite this the heating in the room is turned off until 5.00 pm every day.

The room had no view, just a couple of tiny windows covered in net curtains overlooking the driveway. The room received no sun.

We asked for a coffee one morning, which took 40 minutes to be made. We bought a coffee plunger after that.

Cleaning was paltry, the room wasn't vacuumed, a dirty glass was missed.

We were told where to park, but another guest had parked over the 2 available parks so I parked nearby. I was rudely told by staff that I had to move the car.

In summary, our worst travel experiences.

Room tip: Go elsewhere.
Date of stay: July 2020
Reviewed 5 April 2020

I picked this place just because of the name! But my choice was good one!
The room is big and the bed is big and comfy. Old fashioned country style room with wooden beams and rustic fittings. The room even comes with complimentary continental breakfast! You would not get that these days!
There is a small area at the end of hallway to wash your cups and use the microwave.
A pub downstairs with a big courtyard.
Reasonably priced for the room you get. Highly recommend.

Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed 17 March 2020 via mobile

We arrived on monday afternoon to find a completely empty garden & pub.. which was so surprising given how spectacularly beautiful the setting is right on the water front. The staff were friendly & the garden was immaculately presented including nice touches like having suncream and sun hats to use. The food was delicious.. my only criticism would be that the vegan summer salad 'nuts & seeds'sprinkled on top were SO hard.. nearly cracked my teeth eating them... not sure if the little pearl barely type seeds need to be soaked first or something? Has the chef tried to eat a spoonful of them to see what I mean? However.. that small detail does not detract from what was an excellently presented pub. Would definitely recommend a visit!

Date of stay: March 2020