Hotels.com
Susan D
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Unwelcoming, dark, dingy and small!

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Jan 2024
We’re coming to the end of a 4 week holiday in Australia and New Zealand. Our itinerary, including all travel (flights and hire cars) plus hotels were organised by our travel agents. The plan was to stay in good quality hotels where we were staying for more than one night and, where we were just passing through for one night, we had ‘decent’ motels.

Into our final week and after a 4.5 hour drive (not our longest!), we arrived for 3 nights at the Grand Arden Monaco. The sun was shining and the temperature had risen to 29 degrees. We therefore needed to take ALL our luggage into the hotel to pick out the summer clothes we thought we wouldn’t be needing again.

We left everything in the car while we went to check in. We arrived in a small dark wood lobby with a large disconcerting mirror but no sign of any staff. Guessing at the door we needed to enter (as there was no sign), we found a lone receptionist in a lounge. He checked us in. He showed us up to our rooms using two short flights of tiled steps. We asked if there was a lift. He laughed. No then. We said we had a lot of luggage. He laughed. He wasn’t going to help then. He gave us no orientation, or tell us the WiFi code and seemed more of a caretaker than front of house.

Walking along a dark and dingy narrow corridor he showed us our rooms. Supposedly King sea view. Although it’s a pretty view, I can’t actually see the sea from my room although I believe it’s there and that my room faces that general direction. There is a pretty pond. Oh and a flight path.

Having made three trips with heavy cases up and down the stairs, quite a lot of the floor space in my room was taken up.

The rooms are small, tired and dated:

- [ ] three coat hangers on a shelf is the only hanging space as theres no room for a wardrobe. I was here 3 nights, so you might say that was all I needed. My brother had just 2 coat hangers. I also think it looks untidy to have clothes hanging just in the room.
- [ ] there’s no space at all to swing a cat in the bathroom - the smallest bathroom we’ve seen the entire trip, in literally any of the different types of accommodation we’ve had
- [ ] The shower cubicle is really badly designed - the shower lever handset can only be operated if you reach into the corner behind the shower door first!
- [ ] I had a choice between the kettle or the TV, not both as there was only one available socket unless I unplugged the equivalent of a camping fridge on the floor. The staff had left the kettle plugged in so it took me a while to work out why the TV wasn’t working.
- [ ] Milk comes in a small carton with a straw so you have to squeeze the milk through the hole
- [ ] My air conditioning didn’t work properly so my room was really hot. Thank goodness I had my travel fan with me.

We also felt we were a long way from the centre but still needed to check that out.

We went down to see the receptionist to double check we actually had king sized sea view rooms as the rooms seemed extremely small, particularly compared to anywhere else we’d stayed (literally anywhere!) He confirmed we had the correct rooms. We asked him if we could walk into Nelson. He laughed. He said the nearest place was Richmond and it was 5km away. We’d need to drive or get a taxi. He gave us a card for a taxi firm. He didn’t offer to call for us. We asked him if there was a restaurant close by and he took us outside and pointed to a restaurant which turned out to be closed. We spotted another pub/across the road (the Honest Lawyer - highly recommend).

We decided it was too depressing to stay beyond one night so checked out early. There was no one at the desk but lots of chatter in a back room. I wrote a note and left our key cards. The receptionist did appear with what I think was another member of staff who did help lift my last case. I gave him our feedback and said we’d found some nice, roomy, modern and central-to-Nelson accommodation. Of course we had to pay for it ourselves (turns out it was cheaper than the hotel) but we wanted to enjoy our time in Nelson, not end what’s been a great holiday on a sour note.

We didn’t feel in any way welcomed at this hotel in a country that’s otherwise shown us fabulous hospitality. Suggest you avoid!
Date of stay: December 2023
    $355
7.1 km from Grand Arden Monaco Nelson
View more hotels in Nelson
1,147 results
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 January 2024

I booked a "Queen Standard" room directly with the hotel. The bed was a double, not a queen. The room was so small it would never have fit a queen bed.
How small? I had to put my rollaboard (my only luggage) into the shower enclosure to get enough room to walk to the bed. No chair in the room...there was no room for a chair!
The only powerpoint is in the bathroom...so I sat on the toilet to use my iPad while recharging it.
Good linens. Room seemed clean.
Kettle, and no toaster. Tiny fridge, which blocked access to one side of the bed.
No management on site at night, one guest forgot his room key in his room, and was locked out. And no one answered his texts or calls.
The room is only big enough for a 10 year old, and only if they were traveling alone.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2024 via mobile

We spent two nights here on our trip to Nelson. The room was small but perfect for a base as we went out all day. Monaco is close to the airport and about 10 minutes from the main centre of Nelson. The hotel is right on the bike trail for those riding bikes! Check in was easy and room serviced each day. There are no restaurants on site but we had a drink at the pub opposite which had a nice view and dinner at the brick eatery which are both worth a stop in. The reception is staffed during set hours, but it was perfect for what we needed for our stay. Plenty of parking on site

Room tip: Heaps of onsite parking
Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2023

Wanted a special nite away! Got a back room which was VERY clean and tidy. BUT wanted a shower at end of day water FREEZING 🥶🥶🥶🥶 but can't complain as was informed boss is watching Allblacks game tonight!!!!! Will NOT be recommending this place. Even though it has an amazing views!!!!!

Room tip: Sort out your hot water and boss should be available 24/7 for these complaints
Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2023

$290 per night over priced, under delievered. Mould in shower, run down depressing feeling. Garden full of weeds, no sky TV. Airport over the road planes flying till 8 pm. Supplies minimal 2 towels, small box of milk, 1 and a half toliet rolls per day. Run down accomodation. We were taken for fools.

Date of stay: June 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2023 via mobile

No one was in reception on arrival so had to text and she came fairly quickly. She was friendly. Told me we had a lovely downstairs room. We were very disappointed with the room. Basically no outlook. Only one small window that was covered in condensation in the morning. Some stains on carpet near window. Small fridge that buzzed all night. We were there one night so in the morning we got up, dressed and got out of there. Shower didn’t look clean with grimy grouting in the tiles. We both woke up with sore hips as bed was quick firm. For the price - wouldn’t come back or recommend.

Room tip: Spend your money elsewhere and you might get something nicer for less
Date of stay: March 2023