Lowest prices for your stay
US$53
Free cancellation until 02/07/21
Expedia.comUS$53
PricelineUS$52
CheapTicketsUS$53
All reviews pudding free choc the kitchen hot water bottles shopping bags bed dorm herb garden common areas abel tasman checking out two nights comfortable beds hostels nz nightly storage dryer
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 March 2020 via mobile

The hostel has a warm atmosphere and lots of lovely little details (e. g. hot water bottles, shopping bags to borrow, a small herb garden, a book exchange). However, the walls are paper thin and we only got undisturbed sleep between 2 am and 6 am.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
georgiep10, Owner at Tasman Bay Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2020

Hi there, I'm always a bit shocked to see when we get a 3 star as we are so used to people rating our hostel very highly. Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well. It's great that you liked the atmosphere and all the little details - we like to make sure that our guests feel cared for and we try to go the extra mile in the hope this is the case. Usually noise at night is fairly minimal so I'm sorry that wasn't the case for you. Like most Backpacker hostels our rooms do vary so if you return please ask for the room that would be likely to be the quietest.

Reviewed 26 February 2020 via mobile

Stayed initially for two nights in a 3-bed dorm. Extended for an initial night as we really enjoyed Nelson and the hostel itself.
Really nice, family vibe.
Every spotless. Kitchen decent too. The 8pm nightly free choc pud is a must-try!
Staff really helpful for organising activities or tours.
Will be back. Thank you :-)

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
georgiep10, Owner at Tasman Bay Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2020

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to review us. Everything you mention are things we value so it's great it all made for a happy stay for you. And yes please do return - we think we have a pretty special place - the hostel and Nelson of course - even after 20 years of living here I still find new things that I love. Go well for onward travels.

Reviewed 3 January 2020

Very warm and friendly and welcoming hosts. They went above and beyond in every way to make my stay memorable. For eg. I had traveled over 30 hours before I reached the hostel, my check in time was supposed to be 12 noon I recall (still much earlier than all others who only allow check in at 2 pm). I reached there by about 9 /9.30 am, and to my utter surprise they were kind enough to accommodate me and allowed me to take my room. It made a huge difference to me, given my tired condition then. The next day for some reason I had a small debacle with one of the tour bookings and that threatened that I would have to stay in the hotel instead of checking out if I couldn't go on the tour. They assured me they would keep the only vacant room then available in the hostel for me until my issue was sorted out. The issue got resolved and I went on the tour, but I cannot thank them enough for this gesture, it allowed me to tackle the issue with a calm mind. They also retained my belongings when I went on a trip to Abel Tasman and held it in their storage room under lock and key until I checked in again. The hostel vibes are very positive, the chocolate pudding idea is fantastic apart from the chocolate being delicious, it allows everyone to mingle. Enough wash rooms and toilets, clean place, good drying area. It is an easy walk from the market, more so the walk is a very pleasant one, as the route is nice too. The hostel is in a very nice residential area, so gives a good feel of Nelson. If I go back to Nelson, I would make sure I stay here again.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed 2 January 2020

I really liked my stay at Tasman Bay Backpackers. I had a car and didn't want to deal w/parking in Nelson's CBD (especially over holidays) so that lead me to select this place. And I'm glad I did. There is a small parking lot but also a ton of residential street parking. You're 15 minute walk to the CBD, walkable distance too to a few grocery stores (although car is easier if you're picking up multiple items).

There is laundry on-site but dryers are small so use the lines outside, kitchen gets jammed but is well stocked and there are a ton of fridges for cold stuff. Wifi is also great and works well in the rooms.

I was in a 4-bed and had plenty of room when we were full. Each person had their own part of the room for storage and it was pretty cool with windows open. But, there is no insulation in any room (as is common in NZ) so you can hear EVERYTHING. It can get really loud in the kitchen and common areas below the rooms and in the hallways.

Showers and bathrooms are good and clean. Can be busy in the AM but otherwise fine. Nice seating areas outside in front and behind the hostels.

The nightly "pudding" at 8pm is a cake with ice cream and pudding topping. And you should really go at 8pm because they can run out. It's not the most incredible cake I've had but I love that they do it and am sad I will have less of it in my nightly routine.

No real complaints overall. Would absolutely stay again and recommend it.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank Bayjb
Reviewed 7 November 2019 via mobile

Excellent place to stay. Everything about this place is outstanding. From the moment we arrived with a warm welcome everything was never any bother. Large kitchen, comfortable beds clean bathrooms, nice outdoor area to relax. Owners helped every way they can with advice and support plus suggestions. Top place.

Date of stay: November 2019