“Usual Chinese fare”

Station Oamaru
Ranked #21 of 65 Restaurants in Oamaru
Price range: US$14 - US$20
Reviewed 9 February 2018

This restaurant is good for a casual meal when you just want to go out for a quick one. Jeans and T-shirts are typical summer dress. It can be crowded if a tour bus has brought a load of travelers in. The decor is very basic, nothing fancy. You can have them omit msg by asking the waitress. The food is good and priced right.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We came here to have dinner and I was really excited for it. Although the building didn’t suit the Chinese restaurant at all, the food there was pretty good. The atmosphere felt a little weird though. The chef’s children (I assume) were being quiet the whole time, but they were watching videos and playing games with the volume on, instead of wearing earphones, it was quite disturbing, but didn’t really bother me. The building in old and historical, so the floors have moved a lot during the years and it’s very loud and every time some walks across it the whole table shakes, which bothered me a lot. On the food side of things, we ordered chicken sweet corn soup, wonton soup, sweet and sour chicken, rice and Mali tofu (not on the menu) the food arrived very quick, which I liked. Both soups were great and the rice was fine, but the sweet and sour chicken was not what we thought. It was literally huge pieces of fried chicken with chunks of pineapple and this red starchy sauce. Overall it was good, but it was very vinegary, once you inhale it you will start coughing. With the Mapo tofu, it was extremely spicy and I don’t understand how you were supposed eat it. It was a real let down as I love Chinese food especially Mapo tofu.
The service here is great, but need to work on their food a little bit.
I would visit here again, if I had a Chinese food craving whilst in Oamaru.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Great food have continued to dine in and Takeaway its awesome value. Have also had a staff function here with unanimous conclusion from 13 people that its a must dine in experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Not a particularly large menu, but tasty all the same. The dishes were generous and we didn't go hungry. The sweet n sour pork and egg fried rice were our top picks. Very small wine list but adequate.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Heard mixed reviews but was really looking forward to a night out and a meal with hubby. Were the only ones in the restaurant, awkward atmosphere as the 3 staff just stood and stared at us the whole time. We ordered spicy chicken and spring onion ginger beef. The spicy chicken was frustratingly uneatable. Not because of the huge amount of chunky dried red chillies all through it but the rest of the dish consisted of plate of small chopped neck and tail chicken bones with skin but no meat on I wouldn't serve my cat! Didn't even come with rice or anything had to order that separately -costing $31! Not happy at all. The beef and spring onion was $25 pretty steep for Chinese food and it was a very disappointing stir fry and beef was strange and had no texture. And yep you have to order rice separately. Service poor I told the waitress that I couldn't eat the plate of bones and she came back to offer me ice water as a solution even though we already had water at the table. We were asked again if we enjoyed the meals and again i said we were not happy with the meals but this was just ignored...? If I was the waitress I would of apologised sincerely and offered a replacement meal or refunded it. Instead we were short changed to top it off. And given a loyalty card with a stamp on it. A couple hours later we both have upset stomachs and I have had vomiting and diarrhoea all night. Won't be going back.