Review Highlights
An experience not to be missed - every inner kid needs to see this stuff

Grant N
Hastings, New Zealand
Great inventions

Reviewed 13 April 2021
Go815451

1,066 results
All reviews mad max infinity room steam punk light room light show quirky place steam train science fiction per adult worth a visit new zealand south island portal exhibits imagination organ art
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The lighting is meant to add ambiance but just means you can't see the exhibits very well. My thought about Steampunk is a mix of Victorian era and Scientific gadgets but Oamaru HQ decided to keep all it's junk and rusty machinery and call it Steampunk. Dull, morbid. Where's the lace and copper shine? Yes it's meant to be fun and weird but sorry I didn't get that vibe like other visitors. At least the outside of the building is cool

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Kind of thought "this will be a bit precious and naff" - wrong! It's way over the top - it's fun - it took us back to being kids again (we're in our seventies) and we had one laugh after another. Sure it's weird; yes it's stupid; of course it's ridiculous and totally wacky; but it's fun! Release your inhibitions and let out your inner adventurous kid and just enjoy for the sake of enjoying. If you want to criticize - don't go - it's not for you. We loved it and would go back again and possibly again. One of our number bought some goggles to wear with his hat - they'll be great at Hawke's Bay Art Deco next year. Highly recommend - but put aside your adult and go as a kid - you'll love it!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Such a worthwhile museum to visit. Many thoughts gone into the inventions. Loved the light show. Good to have a cost of $10 per adult so people can afford to visit. Lots of interaction as well.

Reviewed 12 April 2021 via mobile

I have always passed by and never visited, I can say I finally have and wish I had done it earlier. What a great place so many things to see, I’m sure if I went back tomorrow I would see something I missed this time.
Was great value for money

Reviewed 6 April 2021

This was something we were looking forward to on our trip to Oamaru and it didn't disappoint. We're not particularly huge steam punk fans or anything but you don't have to be to enjoy this experience.

Even before you step inside, the outside fascade is amazing with the steam train sitting out front and the faux delapidated look of the historic character building. Inside is sensory overload in the best way. it's creepy, atmospheric, funny and interactive. Kids and adults will enjoy themselves. Such a huge amount of thought and effort has gone into all of the exhibitions, sculptures and the stories behind them.