Review Highlights
Fun for all ages

No idea what to expect with this but it had something for everyone and was really well done... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Alison L
Wellington, New Zealand
via mobile
An experience not to be missed - every inner kid needs to see this stuff

Kind of thought "this will be a bit precious and naff" - wrong! It's way over the top - it's fun... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Grant N
Hastings, New Zealand

1,066 results
All reviews mad max infinity room steam punk light room light show quirky place steam train science fiction per adult worth a visit new zealand south island portal exhibits imagination organ art
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 April 2021 via mobile

I have always passed by and never visited, I can say I finally have and wish I had done it earlier. What a great place so many things to see, I’m sure if I went back tomorrow I would see something I missed this time.
Was great value for money

Date of experience: April 2021
Reviewed 6 April 2021

This was something we were looking forward to on our trip to Oamaru and it didn't disappoint. We're not particularly huge steam punk fans or anything but you don't have to be to enjoy this experience.

Even before you step inside, the outside fascade is amazing with the steam train sitting out front and the faux delapidated look of the historic character building. Inside is sensory overload in the best way. it's creepy, atmospheric, funny and interactive. Kids and adults will enjoy themselves. Such a huge amount of thought and effort has gone into all of the exhibitions, sculptures and the stories behind them.

Date of experience: April 2021
Reviewed 1 April 2021 via mobile

The Steampunk Museum is iconic in Oamaru. It contains a wide variety of various artefacts made from old industrial machinery - there are animals, masks, outfits, and new machines created as retrofuturistic. There is also a futuristic light show which enables you to see yourself “travelling time and space”. Worth a visit and filled with interesting objects.

Date of experience: February 2021
1  Thank CollRr
Reviewed 30 March 2021

Some people have done a lot to produce some weird and wonderful "machines" - approach it in a light-hearted manner and don't be too critical. I recommend you feed the steam train at the front $2 - it's worth it!

Date of experience: March 2021
Reviewed 20 March 2021 via mobile

I didn’t know much about steampunk. This was heaps of fun and really interesting. Well worth a visit. Such talent on display.

Date of experience: March 2021