Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$345
All reviews both bedrooms historic building sea view walking distance great location place to stay stayed here katrina cucina apartment precinct town
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 November 2023 via mobile

We booked this two bedroom apartment for a girls’ weekend in Oamaru and it exceeded all our expectations! We couldn’t actually believe our luck! The heritage decor was stunning, it was so warm and comfortable with every convenience and the lovely hosts David and Katrina had left some Whitestone Brie and crackers for us to enjoy. It was also only a minute’s walk away from the Tees St cafe and Cucina restaurant in the historic quarter where we enjoyed some beautiful meals. Our only regret was we had just booked one night. Will definitely stay longer next time!

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Katrina Menzies, Owner at The Old Confectionery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2023

Dear Jenny, thank you for your lovely review - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and it is always the best kind of compliment when guests let me know that they would have liked to stay longer and intend to return. Thank you so much! Warm regards, Katrina

Reviewed 19 July 2023 via mobile

My spouse, granddaughter and I were driving from Christchurch to Dunedin and thought spending a night in Oamaru visiting the Blue Penguin Colony would be a nice excursion. I booked a nice place to stay, The Little Sweetie, within walking distance of the Blue Penguin facility. The owner of the The Little Sweetie reached out to me and asked if we minded being upgraded to an apartment in The Old Confectionary because some medical folks were in town temporarily and hoped to stay at the Little Sweetie. We gladly accepted the upgrade for our one night stay.

To refer to an apartment in The Old Confectionary as an “upgrade” is a grave understatement. The two bedroom/two bathroom second floor apartment we stayed in was nothing less that stunning. Wonderful high ceilings with beautiful full length windows overlooking the street and a short distance away Oamaru’s fabulous Victorian era section of town. A large well equipped kitchen with full sized new appliances. And quality dining ware. A wonderful dining room table with robust era period chairs. Two wonderful bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms and walk in showers. Blackout curtains all around. The furnishings wonderfully complimented the apartment. You could really sense what great taste and love for the stunning old building the owner has.

When we were drifting off to sleep in these wonderful comfortable beds my wife stated that it was a shame we did not schedule a few more days in Oamaru at The Old Confectionary. In the morning I was sipping on my first cup of coffee and looking out those fabulous windows towards the Old Victorian buildings with a beautiful red tinged sunrise creeping upward all I could think of was how my wife was right. We should have scheduled a few more nights at The Old Confectionary because though while we have stayed at a lot of older period hotels over the years , I have never been as mesmerized by any of them like The Old Confectionary.

Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Chris, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your fabulous review - I don't think I have had one as thoughtful and detailed as yours before - thank you so much! It actually made my day re-reading your review as I do love the building and really enjoyed choosing the interior decor. I have just purchased some new items for the building (think antique confectionery signage) so you may have to come back to see it! Hopefully you will come and visit us again! Merry Christmas! Katrina

Reviewed 1 June 2023

We have stayed here a couple of times now and love it! This wonderful old building has been beautifully restored and is in a great location close to cafes, shops and a very short walk to the historical precinct. Would highly recommend as your place to stay on your next trip to Oamaru.

Date of stay: January 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Katrina Menzies, Owner at The Old Confectionery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2023

Thank you for your lovely review - I love that you had a great stay in Oamaru and that you have returned to stay with again! Warm regards, Katrina

Reviewed 22 December 2022

The refurb of this historic building is nothing but outstanding with beautiful fittings and fixtures and fully self sufficient - no need to venture out if you do not need to.
Great location and walking distance to historic precinct and eateries.
Would highly recommend.......

Date of stay: November 2022
Katrina Menzies, Owner at The Old Confectionery, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2023

Thank you for your lovely review! We do love that you can stay in or venture out too!

Reviewed 10 November 2022

The time and effort that the owners have clearly put into the Old Confectionery to make it the beautiful accommodation it is, is evident from the moment you walk through the door. We wished we had stayed here much longer! This was by far the nicest accommodation we stayed in during our time in New Zealand, and the welcome note and cheese were a lovely touch.

Date of stay: October 2022
Katrina Menzies, Owner at The Old Confectionery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2022

Dear Amanda, thank you for your lovely review!! We appreciate the time and intention that it took! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in Oamaru and also our apartments. We love offering our guests the cheese and crackers as a thank you for booking with us directly. Warm regards, Katrina