Hotels.com
Christchurch, New Zealand

Unacceptable

Review of The Mill House
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 6 Jun 2023
We were able to book, and receive confirmation for our stay. Unfortunately when we arrived at the Mill House at 8pm in the evening the property was in darkness and no-one around. A note on the door directed us to make contact with another accommodation provider, who was fortunately able to accommodate us. This experience turned an anticipated night away into a stressful experience. It also meant that we missed our dinner reservation and ended up needing to get takeaways in Oamaru.
Date of stay: June 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
    $193
23.0 km from The Mill House
    $145
25.6 km from The Mill House
View more hotels in Oamaru
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 January 2023

We reserved months in advance. Upon arriving, we found the place empty and a CLOSED sign on the door. We followed the instructions on the sign and went to the other establishment... only to find that there were no rooms there either. The owner ended up putting us in an empty old house. He then came in and wrenched on the hot water heater for a while until he got the hot water running. I asked him if we could get some bottled water. Nope. We arrived in the evening, expecting a hotel with a restaurant and other ammenities (bottled water, etc). We had 2 hungry kids and nowhere for miles to get food. When the Mill House was closed, the owner should've called us. He did not. He could've emailed us. He did not. He could've reached us through the booking agent. He did not. We arrived in the early evening and left at dawn. The owner offered no compensation. We did receive a refund through the booking agent.

Room tip: Call ahead to make sure they're open for business and you don't get the bait-and-switch as I did.
Date of stay: December 2022
1  Thank VV_SantaFe
Reviewed 17 February 2021

Can't speak highly enough of Malcom and our stay here, highly recommended. Fantastic easy location for us to dip in and out of Oamaru and Moeraki, and all the lovely eateries. The lodge is gorgeous, welcoming and comfortable, and the gardens just so beautiful, and the riverside is the icing on the cake! - a lovely wee haven with everything you need, we'll be back for sure.

Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 2 February 2020

Christchurch to Dunedin is quite a drive - pays to take a rest stop and the Mill House is the perfect 90minutes out stopover. A passion for its owners the old girl is coming back into play gracefully in its tranquil setting just south of Herbert.
And the additional good news is a magnificent brunch can be had with Fleur at the stunning little village of Moeraki 15 minutes south. Do both and enjoy a well-rested arrival in Dunedin an hour later.

Date of stay: February 2020
2  Thank Mark P
Reviewed 19 February 2019

Usually, we never put 2 opinions for the same place but “usually” is not the word we use for the mill house :-)
I’ve been there two years ago and I ve met a wonderful host with a wonderful house.
I came back 2 weeks ago and I found a wonderful friend.
I m explaining : I was just arrived in NZ and I met a problem with my rental car. I have crashed the bumper which was to almost fall down if I carried on.
It was Sunday and I had to find a good mechanic to help me as soon as possible.
As I told him that, he left one minute and came back with some tools.
In less than 10 mn, he repairs the car as a magician and I could carry on my trip quietly.
Without asking him anything, he really helped me as a good friend and I ve really appreciated it. Naturally and so nice :-)

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely spot, quiet, very welcoming proprietor and nothing a problem. Rooms very clean and comfortable, highly recommend if travelling south or north, or for a break away. Near river, tracks, Moeraki and 20 mins from Oamaru

Date of stay: January 2018