All reviews secure parking great hotel one night room was clean replacing budget nz
Reviewed 6 November 2018

The location of the hotel is good - few kilometres from the airport and they offer a free shuttle which picked us up just minutes from calling them. Just be careful because they don't offer the shuttle transport all time during the day (not between 11am and 1pm if I understood right). The cleanliness of the bed was ok, otherwise the should really work on cleaning the bathroom and we also found that our coffee mugs were dirty. What was bothering us the most is that we arranged a late check out at 12 (because we arrived at 3 am) and the receptionist called us at 10.30 and asked when will we check-out. I understand that they have to schedule their cleaning staff but come on - we want to sleep late if we requested a late check out. So it is an ok accommodation for one night but overall a lot of space to improve.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Simona G
Reviewed 31 October 2018

I stayed here for one night prior to catching a flight home. I just wanted somewhere cheap and easy to stay with free parking as I intended to drop the hire car off at the airport the following morning.

The staff were extremely friendly. The hotel has secure parking. The room was perfectly sufficient. The bathroom was a bit scungy.

The rooms have a sliding back door that open out on to the carpark which I found a bit odd but which I suppose would be useful if you were bringing bags in and didn't want to have to drag them around to the front. They also do not have king beds, but two singles rammed together. The two beds were of different heights so if you like to stretch diagonally across the bed, too bad.

I didn't like the look of anything on the menu at the in-house restaurant, which probably says more about me than the menu. So I had to venture out for dinner. Like other suburban areas of Auckland, the traffic in the area where the hotel is gets insanely hectic. I have no idea why. Add to this the fact that New Zealanders are the worst drivers in the developed world and you have a bit of a headache if you want to pop out to grab something to eat.

The information compendium in the rooms is a total train wreck. Whoever put it together has not even the slightest association with the English language and it makes the place look really trashy. They couldn't even spell 'aviation' correctly which is a bit of a problem for an airport hotel. If you are going to have something printed up and placed in every single room, surely you can find someone to proof read it for you. I would be happy to do it. I have a red pen.

Having said all of this, it was sufficient and it was pretty cheap so why complain? It was certainly better than paying 4-5 times as much to stay right next to the airport.

As a final note, I am quite tall and could see on top of the wardrobe they had in the room. In addition to what looked like several months worth of dust, there was a lump of wool. Not wool as in knitting yarn. Some wool that appeared to have recently been taken from a sheep. This is not a complaint. In fact I think this is probably the most New Zealand thing to have happened to me in three visits to the country.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank JamesM82
Reviewed 26 October 2018

We only stayed one night, and were comfortable enough. Our room faced onto the houses next door, and there was some noise, but it did not extend into the night. The rooms facing onto the pool are probably quieter. Reception was helpful, and there was no charge for room service, which is exceptional in my experience. The food was plentiful and well prepared. A little bit of work, like replacing the missing bottom hinge on the cupboard door, and plastering and painting around the shaver socket in the bathroom would improve the overall appearance.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2018

As we knew our return flight back from the US would arrive at 11pm, we didn't want to do the 3 hour drive back home. I looked around at the cheapest options for somewhere that we could turn up to late, sleep, and then leave early in the morning.

The Airport Garden Hotel was the cheapest option I could find that wasn't an AirBNB. When I made the booking online I made a comment stating we'd be in late, hope it wasn't a problem. When the booking was confirmed a little while later, it included a response saying there's a 24 hour reception so late check-ins were fine.

The receptionist that greeted us at midnight was very friendly and welcoming. It was a painless check in process. I enquired if I could just leave my car in the front car park as it was late and I didn't want to do any more faffing around, but he strongly recommended making use of the secure parking through the gates.

What to say of the room...it was quite cold. Sure it was spring and it was late, but this was the cold you get from Wood and vinyl floors over concrete etc. It kind of felt like a budget hostel room in this regard. The beds were comfy, but there was a lot of dust underneath them (I only noticed when I dropped something down there). Appreciate it's hard to clean under a bed, but have to say it's the first time I've ever noticed anything like it at a hotel!

The bathroom was pretty basic and old.

The lady at reception when we checked out in the morning was slightly less helpful (more engrossed in the conversation she was having with a colleague) but overall not really an issue.

All in all, it wasn't too bad a place as a place to sleep whilst in transit. You get what you pay for, and we've certainly stayed in a few worse places that cost a similar amount that were conveniently placed near airports!

Room tip: I guess aim for a room towards the back to minimise footraffic noise.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

If you like loud music until 2am midweek and neighbours fighting & yelling then this is the Hotel for you. Room adequate and excellent location to airport however got no sleep as a result of party in suburbs next to hotel.

Trip type: Travelled on business