All reviews no lift bed was comfortable harbour accommodation luggage yesterday adelaide motel character
Reviewed 26 September 2017

It was a cold evening in Portland when we checked in. Reception was closed so we checked in at the bar which was fine. I had high hopes of a room with a view of the port given the Hotel was nearly empty but was assigned one over looking the car park. The third floor room was a nice size retaining the rough walls of the original historic building. The bathroom was accessed by a dog legged hallway which also led to another bedroom which makes the suite potentially family friendly. Given the solid nature of the building the room was noise free. The room had A/C and a good sized television. The gymnasium was fairly rudimentary. The bed was comfortable and the room well furnished in a tasteful way in keeping with the vintage building. I didn't dine downstairs but have eaten there on other occasions and the food is fine. Whilst the Hotel is not cheap I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: The 3 storey building doesn't have a lift.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Robert H, Owner at Quality Hotel Bentinck, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your online review.

Our Hotel was built in 1856 and when we did our renovations we were working around the original bluestone walls so there are a few dog leg hallways but it also means that each of our rooms has a little bit of their own uniqueness which we hope is a bonus. For those who may be interested we also do a have a family room with one room having a king bed and an adjoining room two king single beds. This room is bookable directly through the hotel.

We would welcome any suggestions you have for the gymnasium which I pass onto our planning team to see if we can make any of your ideas work in the space we have available.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

To book into this hotel the booking and key allocation happens in the bar. So we had to wait in the bar while the local "inbreds" were watching their Saturday football. They couldn't help but make insulting comments about us. Not particularly welcoming.

We asked at the visitor centre for something with character and paid extra to stay here. We didn't realise that the local rabble came as a bonus

I'd give this hotel and the town a miss if we ever pass thru this part of Victoria again. Stay at Port Fairy - its lovely

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Robert H, Manager at Quality Hotel Bentinck, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

I am sorry that you were not happy with our check in process. I can only presume that you arrived in a period where our reception area was unmanned due to the Reception staff member having a break.

As for the rest of your review I will not comment on your remarks which are unwarranted.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Been staying here for business since 2014 and can't go anywhere else as the Staff, Accommodation, Fine food and Location is in my books 5 star Hospitality at its best.
Late yesterday whilst driving across Victoria for work doing a late job tried calling to grab a room but phone coverage was poor so just turned up.
As they were busy and fitted me in no problems.
All the staff just makes one feel at home and nothing is a problem to them. I finished my work and decided to eat in the main bar as the Dory for main, some fresh oysters and a bottle of sav blanc all was excellent and very reasonably priced all while watching the footy before the live music started......
Mmmmmmmmmm 9 out of 10
And thanks for a great relaxing night after driving all day.
Thanks for your great friendly hospitality Especially Meagan and Deb. who always can't do enough for their guests!!!
I would not hesitate to recommend this fine established hotel for overnight or a holiday.
Cheers

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2017

Stayed for a night in April 2017 on business. The hotel itself has a reasonable amount of charm. The rooms are sizeable and comfortable.
Dinner in the downstairs restaurant was a pleasant enough experience (smoked salmon risotto, which was enjoyable), but the continental breakfast was pretty limited.
I had a slightly worrying experience when I returned to my room after dinner, only to hear an extremely loud 'Irish' band strike up. My room was directly above the band, and it was very, very loud. I went and asked Reception when they were due to finish and was told no later than 10pm, which was absolutely correct - so no problem, although if I'd been trying to work in the room or if it had continued past 10 then it would have been a pretty disruptive experience!
I'm heading back to Portland on a business trip next week and will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the bar/band as possible.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

Grand mid-1800s hotel with so acious room with gracious decor, wifi, flatscreen TV, mini fridge, electric water kettle for tea, fabulous bed and modern ensuite. Easy free parking.

.Welcoming and accommodating reception staff. Lovely expansive breakfast spread. Easy walk to harbor side.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple