Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Aidan G
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Spectacular setting

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Apr 2024via mobile
Spent one night here at the start of our honeymoon. The setting is incredible, in theory overlooking the town and waterfront with good views of the surrounding mountains. Unfortunately when we were here the weather was terrible, with high winds and heavy rain and low clouds so the views were mostly obscured. We were in an ocean view room with a balcony/decking outside the room. Had the weather been good this would have been incredible.
As we booked through a travel agent we weren't aware that check-in was not done face to face. This is fine, although if you do have any burning questions regarding recommendations or things to avoid you'd need to message them I suppose. Although there is a lot of information contained in the room literature.
The room itself was very nice and had everything we needed. Only issue was that one of the windows was drafty, which probably wouldn't be an issue 99% of the time, however the high winds meant that it was a bit of a struggle to sleep.
Breakfast was also nice and self service, although we were in a bit of a rush so couldn't fully enjoy it.
Would thoroughly recommend this location. Just hope for good weather!
Date of stay: April 2024
Perfect waterfront location
$158
1.0 km from Lemon Tree Lodge
Beachfront
The Fairways luxury accommodation in Kaikoura, near the beach, at dusk
$168
Küche
    $118
1.2 km from Lemon Tree Lodge
View more hotels in Kaikoura
All reviews lovely continental breakfast new zealand stayed two nights balcony poppy ocean host seafront privacy
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 March 2024

This B&B was pricier than my other bookings on my long trip to New Zealand, however, saying that, I felt that it was good "bang for buck".

The first thing is that you are not located on the main highway, North of the town. If you want access to groceries, liquor, etc, this is where you want to be (and you'll be on a noisy highway with many motels).

But, if you want an experience that you will never forget, then stay here. I was dropped off by the bus and walking and, even with pushing my 50 lb suitcase up a steep path and sweating my brains out, I was so impressed with where I landed up (and I'm 64 yrs old!).

The Lemon Tree Lodge is a small B&B, run by a family. I met the lady (can't remember her name, sorry), and she was lovely. The manager of the hotel, a young woman from Italy working on a Work Visa, was also very attentive to anything that I asked for.

I can't understand how anybody could complain about the self-serve breakfast here. They had everything (other than fried foods - eggs, bacon) that you could imagine. I never get why some tourists consider things "bad" if it's not exactly what they eat at home. That's why you travel :)

And, as far as stating that you talk to nobody in this B&B and that it is very inpersonal, that is probably because you never said hello to anybody. Again, take responsibility for your happiness and talk to people. I spoke with the owner, the manager (many times) and at least 3 other couples staying there from different countries (over a 2 day period).

I stayed in the Sunflower Room (not ocean view) and I might as well have been in the room with a view because every chance I had, I walked around (30 seconds) to the front and sat in the area that was there for the back rooms to enjoy the views, which are stunning by the way! I must have sat there 4 times in 3 days.

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2024 via mobile

Lovely little inn on top of the hill in Kaikōura. Family run, so you’ll likely meet the owner who is a very nice woman. She does an adorable continental breakfast spread every morning with hard boiled eggs, meats and cheeses, yogurt, fresh fruit and granola, fresh bakery muffins and breads, jellies, etc.

We had a back room with a porch and the most AMAZING view. At night you can sit out and just stare up at the stars. The night sky in Kaikoura is stunning.

The only downside was no AC and no ceiling or any fans in the room. But we opened the windows and double door and there was a breeze like 90% of the time so I guess in NZ it’s all about letting the outside in!

Date of stay: January 2024
Reviewed 9 February 2024 via mobile

We’ve honestly stayed in better quality and better equipped Motels. What’s with all the 5* reviews? I guess if you stay in the front rooms overlooking the bay it’s a different experience. However the garden rooms (which we stayed in) offer little.
We could hear traffic from the road behind all night and our neighbours conversations and tv. The rooms are extremely basic, it felt harsh with no comfort. Broken toilet flush, mould on the ceiling, rusty towel rail, cheap sachets of body wash, cobwebs, stains of the worn carpet and grubby kettle, chipped mugs and breakfast plates, dirty splashes on the wall next to the bin, the bin just had a supermarket carrier bag in. Bizarrely there is a display of rotting fruit on the table. I thought it was fake, no it’s real rotten oranges! What?!
We brought back some lovely food we’d bought in town to find a table, chairs and fridge but no plates or cutlery to eat off. So you need to out really.
There is zero human contact, it’s so impersonal. There is basically a note on the front of a locked reception door with your name on explaining where your room is and that the key is in the door. What a welcome! Not!
Breakfast is collected on a tray from a room opposite. It was ok. Boiled eggs too over cooked to eat. The rest was basic but ok.
The bed was comfy.
When we walked back into the bedroom this morning we could smell the damp. Just awful.
We’ve never been to a ‘hotel’ with zero interaction from anyone. It’s a bit odd.
I’m sorry but for what we paid it’s just not worth it or value for money. We wouldn’t recommend a stay here. Go elsewhere, there’s nicer options.

Date of stay: February 2024
Reviewed 28 January 2024 via mobile

Reasons to book
Some of the rooms have stunning views out to the Ocean.
The lodge is handily located so that it’s an easy downhill stroll to the restaurants in Kaikoura. Equally it’s no more than 15mins to walk to the whale watching station

Things to consider
The owners understandably ask that you let them know if you are going to be checking in late. Our ferry into Picton meant that we wouldn’t be arriving until circa 7pm.
It took 4 days of unanswered phone calls and a non replied e mail before we finally got through as we were leaving Wellington.
Instructions were left on the kitchen door as to where to find our room.

2 of the rooms do not have an Ocean view. It would be a very different experience if staying in one of these.

Breakfast is somewhat unusual. A continental selection is left out in the kitchen. You come in, load your tray and take it back to your room. Trays are to be returned afterwards.
The daily quantity of food available is driven by the number of guests. I didn’t see anything being replenished during the 8.00 - 9.00 allocated time.

Our room was perfectly fine although the bathroom was a bit poorly lit.

No safe in the room and no air con. Then again, non promised either.

Keys are deposited in a box as you leave.

The strange thing is that you could have no interaction from start to finish. If self scanning checkouts and checking in your own luggage at airports is your thing, look no further.

Date of stay: January 2024
1  Thank Yorkshireman59
Reviewed 13 November 2023 via mobile

A lovely property in a fabulous location overlooking Kaiakoura and the beach. Stunning views to the snow capped mountains in the distance. We had a sea view room with a private deck area, good sized room and bathroom with slipper bath and walk in shower. Very clean and tidy. Breakfast was a ‘help yourself’ affair left out in a communal kitchen and it was lovely to be able to have this on our deck. My only negative is that it would have been nice to have met the owners - we let ourselves in and let ourselves out etc. This was described as bed and breakfast so we thought we would get to chat to local owners as we had at other b&bs. Great accommodation but lacking the human interaction.

Room tip: Ask for a sea view room
Date of stay: November 2023