“The wow factor”

Wings Over Whales
Ranked #4 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Adventure through the skies and experience the true magic of Kaikoura. Wings Over Whales are a Qualmark endorsed visitor activity providing whale watching flights, scenic air tours and point to point private aircraft charter. The focus at Wings Over Whales is to deliver a friendly, high quality, boutique experience to all customers where the comfort and safety of each passenger is paramount. The company operate two aircraft; a 4-seater Cessna 172 as well as an 8-seater Gippsland Airvan. Both planes are high-winged allowing each passenger their own window seat and unobstructed views of Kaikoura’s marine wild life and majestic scenery. Wings Over Whales are situated at Kaikoura Airport, an 8km drive south from the town centre. Located in an inviting log cabin terminal, customers can enjoy great facilities with on-site gift shop, cafe and rest room facilities. In typical 30 minute flight you will see the majestic Sperm Whale preparing for his next dive and up to 500 Dusky Dolphins playfully swimming. Occasional sightings include Southern Right, Humpback, Fin, Sei, Brydes, Pilot, Southern Bottlenose and Blue Whales. Other, less frequent visitors to the area include Southern Right Whale, Orca and the endangered blue whale
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Having look at different ways of viewing whales I decided I would go with Wings over Whales I was not disappointed from the moment you arrive the friendly professional team talk you through what to expect and hopefully see. Edward our pilot went the extra mile and found us a sperm whale to view the whale was on the surface for a goood ten minutes so we had ample opportunity to view and photograph the whale on the way back we encountered a large pod of dolphins playing in the sea. If you visit Kiakoura then you need to put this at the top of your to do list. A day to remember.

2  Thank Susan H

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

From arrival we were impressed with the great customer service, they looked after us very well. We had our briefing then Edward our pilot took us up in the plane, I have to say it was a lot smoother than I expected. We circled for a while trying to spot a whale, however Edward was confident he could find one and sure enough he did! Amazing to see how big they are, we have some great photos. We didn't know whether to do boat or plane option and I am glad we did chose the plane. Great experience and one I would definitely recommend.

3  Thank MrandMrsAckworth
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Heading towards Kaikoura only to find boat was fully booked .... then spotted WingsOverWhales so booked in and very glad we did. Staff were friendly and the pilot was great! Very informative and enthusiastic briefing and presentation. Nice plane, everyone gets a window seat! We quickly say 100+ dusky dolphins and spent long time looking for whales before pilot spotted 20 metre young sperm whale. The pilots skills enabled everyone to get a good look and some photos and he even warned us when it was about to dive so we could get the tail shot. Smooth flight and my 7 year old daughter was made to feel welcome and safe on first light aircraft flight. If we'd gone on boat I think we would have struggled to connect with the whale. Highly recommend this trip!

3  Thank Dylan M
Reviewed 27 August 2017

Having previously done whale watching from a boat and enjoyed it, I decided this time that the more unique opportunity to view whales from the air appealed to me more. I wasn't disappointed. From booking to landing, the service and experience was spot on. We saw two sperm whales during the 30 minute flight along with a rather spectacular view of the peninsula. My personal opinion is that flying is a much better way to appreciate the magnificence and scale of these creatures - The Ultimate Perspective.

4  Thank aclarry25
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

I had an excellent experience with wings over whales. Excellent customer service and Anthony my pilot is very professional. A must for your kaikoura visit.

4  Thank czeno