“Great Experience. Highly Recommend.”
Review of Wings Over Whales

Wings Over Whales
Ranked #4 of 28 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Adventure through the skies and experience the true magic of Kaikoura. Wings Over Whales are a Qualmark endorsed visitor activity providing whale watching flights, scenic air tours and point to point private aircraft charter. The focus at Wings Over Whales is to deliver a friendly, high quality, boutique experience to all customers where the comfort and safety of each passenger is paramount. The company operate two aircraft; a 4-seater Cessna 172 as well as an 8-seater Gippsland Airvan. Both planes are high-winged allowing each passenger their own window seat and unobstructed views of Kaikoura’s marine wild life and majestic scenery. Wings Over Whales are situated at Kaikoura Airport, an 8km drive south from the town centre. Located in an inviting log cabin terminal, customers can enjoy great facilities with on-site gift shop, cafe and rest room facilities. In typical 30 minute flight you will see the majestic Sperm Whale preparing for his next dive and up to 500 Dusky Dolphins playfully swimming. Occasional sightings include Southern Right, Humpback, Fin, Sei, Brydes, Pilot, Southern Bottlenose and Blue Whales. Other, less frequent visitors to the area include Southern Right Whale, Orca and the endangered blue whale
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 March 2017

The staff was very professional and polite. They welcomed us into their beautiful facility. The pilot was Jesse. Using picture slides he gave a short and interesting talk on the geology and why the whales live here and which kind of whales we might see. He was very good at picking clues to where the whales might be and flying there. We saw the famous sperms whales, a humpback playing with Dolphins and a few others.

5  Thank Kawuneeche
There are newer reviews for Wings Over Whales

Reviewed 12 March 2017

I would like to thank Wings over Whales and especially the pilot Edward who is a great pilot and thanks to him we have saw 7 sperm whale, learned a lot with him and had a lot of fun! Christine and Pierre (the icecream winner) from France

4  Thank Pierre V
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I had a great 30 min flight with pilot Edward of 'Wings over whales', looking for whales near Kaikoura. Saw a blue whale and a sperm whale.
Amazing experience!

3  Thank Najla S
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I got burned by the whale watch boat company as well. Thankfully Wings Over Whales offers a great and completely unusual experience. You get your own window seat and the pilot makes every effort to make sure everyone gets plenty of chances to see the whales and dolphins. The views of the Kaikoura landscape were also gorgeous. Great pilot. They also have a shuttle you can book for a small fee from Kaikoura city center, if you don't have a car.

4  Thank Matthew N
Reviewed 6 March 2017

My husband and myself booked this trip as unable to do the boat trip.
I did not want to miss out on the seeing the Whales, but was dubious about flying in a light aircraft. After reading the many positive reviews for this company, we went a head with the booking.
We were given a very informative talk on the different types of whales that we might encounter. I had mentioned I was nervous, so the pilot, Edward let me sit up front in the cockpit with him. Once we were up in the air and with his kind advice, I settle into the flight and enjoyed the experience.
We saw four Sperm Whales, unfortunately no other species. As explained to you that this is nature, nothing is planned. I would recommend this company and if like me on the nervous side; you will be totally reassured and feel safe.

4  Thank Livebug1956