“Great Experience. Highly Recommend.”
Review of Wings Over Whales

Wings Over Whales
Ranked #4 of 26 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Experience Kaikoura's mighty Sperm Whale, playful Dusky Dolphin and majestic scenery from above! Wings Over Whales Kaikoura conduct whale watching flights, scenic mountain tours and private charter. Endorsed by Qualmark New Zealand, our professional and experienced team will ensure you have a safe and comfortable flight. Passengers have their own window seat and our high-winged aircraft will allow you to enjoy unobstructed views of Kaikoura's marine wildlife and spectacular scenery. Wings Over Whales operate two aircraft; a 4-seater Cessna 172 as well as an 8-seater Gippsland Airvan. Wings Over Whales are situated at Kaikoura Airport, an 8km drive south from the town centre. Located in an inviting log cabin terminal, customers can enjoy great facilities with on-site gift shop, cafe and rest room facilities. In typical 30 minute flight you will see the majestic Sperm Whale preparing for his next dive and up to 500 Dusky Dolphins playfully swimming. Occasional sightings include Orca, Humpback,Pilot and the rare Blue Whale.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 16 March 2017

The staff was very professional and polite. They welcomed us into their beautiful facility. The pilot was Jesse. Using picture slides he gave a short and interesting talk on the geology and why the whales live here and which kind of whales we might see. He was very good at picking clues to where the whales might be and flying there. We saw the famous sperms whales, a humpback playing with Dolphins and a few others.

7  Thank Kawuneeche
"friendly team"
"smooth flight"
"full body"

Reviewed 12 March 2017

I would like to thank Wings over Whales and especially the pilot Edward who is a great pilot and thanks to him we have saw 7 sperm whale, learned a lot with him and had a lot of fun! Christine and Pierre (the icecream winner) from France

6  Thank Pierre V
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Reviewed 7 March 2017

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 March 2017

My husband and myself booked this trip as unable to do the boat trip.
I did not want to miss out on the seeing the Whales, but was dubious about flying in a light aircraft. After reading the many positive reviews for this company, we went a head with the booking.
We were given a very informative talk on the different types of whales that we might encounter. I had mentioned I was nervous, so the pilot, Edward let me sit up front in the cockpit with him. Once we were up in the air and with his kind advice, I settle into the flight and enjoyed the experience.
We saw four Sperm Whales, unfortunately no other species. As explained to you that this is nature, nothing is planned. I would recommend this company and if like me on the nervous side; you will be totally reassured and feel safe.

6  Thank Livebug1956