“Great Experience!!”

Wings Over Whales
Ranked #5 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Adventure through the skies and experience the true magic of Kaikoura. Wings Over Whales are a Qualmark endorsed visitor activity providing whale watching flights, scenic air tours and point to point private aircraft charter. The focus at Wings Over Whales is to deliver a friendly, high quality, boutique experience to all customers where the comfort and safety of each passenger is paramount. The company operate two aircraft; a 4-seater Cessna 172 as well as an 8-seater Gippsland Airvan. Both planes are high-winged allowing each passenger their own window seat and unobstructed views of Kaikoura’s marine wild life and majestic scenery. Wings Over Whales are situated at Kaikoura Airport, an 8km drive south from the town centre. Located in an inviting log cabin terminal, customers can enjoy great facilities with on-site gift shop, cafe and rest room facilities. In typical 30 minute flight you will see the majestic Sperm Whale preparing for his next dive and up to 500 Dusky Dolphins playfully swimming. Occasional sightings include Southern Right, Humpback, Fin, Sei, Brydes, Pilot, Southern Bottlenose and Blue Whales. Other, less frequent visitors to the area include Southern Right Whale, Orca and the endangered blue whale
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
“Great Experience!!”
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I would like to thank Wings over Whales and especially the pilot Edward who is a great pilot and thanks to him we have saw 7 sperm whale, learned a lot with him and had a lot of fun! Christine and Pierre (the icecream winner) from France

4 Thank Pierre V

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Whale watching from the air”
Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

I had a great 30 min flight with pilot Edward of 'Wings over whales', looking for whales near Kaikoura. Saw a blue whale and a sperm whale.
Amazing experience!

Visited March 2017
3 Thank Najla S
“Great Trip”
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I got burned by the whale watch boat company as well. Thankfully Wings Over Whales offers a great and completely unusual experience. You get your own window seat and the pilot makes every effort to make sure everyone gets plenty of chances to see the whales and dolphins. The views of the Kaikoura landscape were also gorgeous. Great pilot. They also have a shuttle you can book for a small fee from Kaikoura city center, if you don't have a car.

4 Thank Matthew N
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“It Exciting Trip”
Reviewed 6 March 2017

My husband and myself booked this trip as unable to do the boat trip.
I did not want to miss out on the seeing the Whales, but was dubious about flying in a light aircraft. After reading the many positive reviews for this company, we went a head with the booking.
We were given a very informative talk on the different types of whales that we might encounter. I had mentioned I was nervous, so the pilot, Edward let me sit up front in the cockpit with him. Once we were up in the air and with his kind advice, I settle into the flight and enjoyed the experience.
We saw four Sperm Whales, unfortunately no other species. As explained to you that this is nature, nothing is planned. I would recommend this company and if like me on the nervous side; you will be totally reassured and feel safe.

4 Thank Livebug1956
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Incredible experience!”
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

A trip to kaikoura isn't complete without a trip with wings over whales. I would describe it as a once in a lifetime experience....but I know I'll be back again! It was so incredible - fantastic value for money and the whole experience from booking on the phone to stepping out of the plane at the end was flawless.
When we saw the sperm whale, we all got so emotional & I will treasure that moment forever. We saw the whale fluke & dive and seeing that from the air is indescribable.
I work for a whale & dolphin conservation charity, so I have done lots of observations from boats, but by plane gives you a whole different perspective, through the beautifully clear water you can see the whole animal from blowhole to tail!
I will never forget my time in the plane - I was even lucky enough to sit up from with the pilot :)
Staff was so lovely, friendly & approachable & our pilot Jesse was fantastic & very informative.
Cannot recommend enough.