Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Thefamilytraveller
Whangarei, New Zealand

Hidden Gem

Review of Paroa Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Apr 2023via mobile
Checked in for a couple of nights and was very impressed by the whole business. Run by a very welcoming family there is a great feeling to the place, the bar and restaurant is a great spot to have a few drinks and a good meal (the seafood is incredibly fresh), the hotel rooms are well appointed and located a short walk from the beach.
If you are in the area this is a great place to stay.
Date of stay: April 2023
5.2 km from Paroa Hotel
    $155
6.4 km from Paroa Hotel
View more hotels in Greymouth
All reviews hotel motel short walk to the beach old fashioned shanty town new zealand would definitely stay here again a great place to stay stayed two nights bed was comfortable pancake rolls bernie netflix monk west coast accommodation hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 April 2023 via mobile

We stayed just one night in an accessible cabin, which had a large balcony overlooking a pretty garden. It was a short walk to the beach.

This is an old fashioned, family run hotel (well, more a motel really as the accommodation seems to mostly be cabins separate from the main building). We met Bernie who had arrived at the hotel as a baby in the 1950s - a very friendly and charming man. We enjoyed a couple of drinks in the bar and a chat about the history of the hotel, which is now run by Bernie’s children.

Our room was comfortable and had all the usual amenities e.g. kitchenette. The only disappointment was that the food at dinner was average at best.

Date of stay: February 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2023 via mobile

Had stayed here countless times during my working career.
While outside of main part of Greymouth it's close to Shantytown and beach for sunset photos.
Bernie and family have run the place for years and has maintained a high level of service to customers.
Units are snug but well appointed and there's a good restaurant and bar on property.
Plenty of off street parking for vehicles too.
Offers good old West Coast hospitality.

Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2023 via mobile

The entire place looks like a downtown bar, smell from alcohol, and less like a hotel. The room was very hot, in the mid New Zealand summer, however, the owners probably don’t think an AC is a good investment. Tried to speak to them but they were rude and even violent. Stay away. We left after 5 minutes and got a refund from our bank.

Date of stay: February 2023
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Michael_Hsecure
Alan Monk, General Manager at Paroa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2023

In my entire career in hospitality I have never encountered guests like this. Imagine travelling round doing this at every venue they visit, can't be much of a holiday. One trick they use is to say its their birthday and ask for a free gift on arrival, like chocolates.

I'm not going to reply to these absurd allegations as it is not worth wasting another moment on this guest as they have already terrorised our staff and our hotel. I just pity the future restaurants and hotels that have to encounter these people.

Reviewed 20 February 2023

Stayed for three nights in a standalone unit for two families. One bedroom is a good size, the other is a double but quite small. Bathroom is in the middle and accessible from both rooms. Units were very clean and well equipped. Staff on the whole very friendly and helpful. Restaurant and bar handy and offer a wide variety of food and drinks. Food was average though and drinks quite pricey.

Date of stay: January 2023
Reviewed 18 February 2023 via mobile

Stay away!! Far far away!!! ! I’m a heavy traveler, spending lots of time in hotels worldwide. This hotel is by far one of the worst I’ve encountered.

We came on a very hot day, an hour after the booking was made. The lady at the front desk wanted to shake my hand and I politely refused . who shakes hands with strangers after Covid? I’ve been in several hotels in New Zealand, no one ever asked to shake my hand.

I then found out the room was boiling and has no AC. I told another man at the reception we can’t stay in a hot boiling room facing the sun, and he was very rude, stating that I will be fully charged even though I never used the room even for a second, and the booking was just made. He started arguing with me aggressively. I left the premises.

I then got a call from Alan, the hotel manager. There were some chocolates in the room and he blamed me for leaving, refusing to pay yet “stealing” them (!!!!!!). Of course I never touched the chocolates. I was shocked! This was such and embarrassment - not for me, but for the hotel manager. He said he doesn’t believe me when I say I never took them (“Who took them if not you?”, he said to me).

As if it wasn’t enough, he also accused me of being rude for refusing to shake his employee’s hand!

After a while Alan called back and admitted the chocolates were not “stolen” (Oh thank you Mr. hotel manager detective). He “apologized”, yet insisted on charging me in full for the room.

He only agreed to refund me (though I was never supposed to be charged to begin with) if I commit in writing not to write a bad review. Guess what my answer was?

Since the booking was made via booking.com, they opened an investigation against the hotel for trying to manipulate my review, which is a serious violation of their TOS with booking.com

I never encountered such a behavior, such rudeness and disrespect. Shame on them! If it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny.