Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ruth H
New York City, New York

Stay far far away!!!

Review of Paroa Hotel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Feb 2023via mobile
Stay away!! Far far away!!! ! I’m a heavy traveler, spending lots of time in hotels worldwide. This hotel is by far one of the worst I’ve encountered.

We came on a very hot day, an hour after the booking was made. The lady at the front desk wanted to shake my hand and I politely refused . who shakes hands with strangers after Covid? I’ve been in several hotels in New Zealand, no one ever asked to shake my hand.

I then found out the room was boiling and has no AC. I told another man at the reception we can’t stay in a hot boiling room facing the sun, and he was very rude, stating that I will be fully charged even though I never used the room even for a second, and the booking was just made. He started arguing with me aggressively. I left the premises.

I then got a call from Alan, the hotel manager. There were some chocolates in the room and he blamed me for leaving, refusing to pay yet “stealing” them (!!!!!!). Of course I never touched the chocolates. I was shocked! This was such and embarrassment - not for me, but for the hotel manager. He said he doesn’t believe me when I say I never took them (“Who took them if not you?”, he said to me).

As if it wasn’t enough, he also accused me of being rude for refusing to shake his employee’s hand!

After a while Alan called back and admitted the chocolates were not “stolen” (Oh thank you Mr. hotel manager detective). He “apologized”, yet insisted on charging me in full for the room.

He only agreed to refund me (though I was never supposed to be charged to begin with) if I commit in writing not to write a bad review. Guess what my answer was?

Since the booking was made via booking.com, they opened an investigation against the hotel for trying to manipulate my review, which is a serious violation of their TOS with booking.com

I never encountered such a behavior, such rudeness and disrespect. Shame on them! If it wasn’t so sad it would have been funny.
Alan Monk, General Manager at Paroa Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 27 Feb 2023
In my entire career in hospitality I have never encountered guests like this. Imagine travelling round doing this at every venue they visit, can't be much of a holiday. One trick they use is to say its their birthday and ask for a free gift on arrival, like chocolates.

I'm not going to reply to these absurd allegations as it is not worth wasting another moment on this guest as they have already terrorised our staff and our hotel. I just pity the future restaurants and hotels that have to encounter these people.
$175
38.1 km from Paroa Hotel
25.9 km from Paroa Hotel
Restaurant
View more hotels in Greymouth
All reviews hotel motel short walk to the beach old fashioned shanty town new zealand would definitely stay here again a great place to stay stayed two nights bed was comfortable pancake rolls bernie netflix monk west coast accommodation hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 February 2023

Excellent place to stay, eat and enjoy the beach! This place is great, very clean and very friendly staff. Absolutely loved it and will definitely go back. It’s a must stay if your going to Greymouth.

Date of stay: February 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2023

Very nice standalone home next to hotel. Very comfy for two families at an excellent price. Would happily stay there again. Was very clean and tidy and had all the facilities we needed. Host was also very friendly.

Reviewed 12 January 2023

Great place to stay, very clean and comfortable. Friendly staff and it was great having a bar and restaurant on site. Good location, we only stayed one night but managed to visit Pancake rocks, Greymouth and Shanty town.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2023 via mobile

I remember staying here with my father when I was younger and decided to bring my kids here to stay because of the fond memories I had of Bernie Monk and his hotel.
This time around the stay was just as good as I recall it being all those years ago! The facilities are modern and comfortable, the staff are amazing, polite & helpful and the location is great! If you are planning on staying in Greymouth, you should book a room and meal at Paroa Hotel & restaurant! Highly recommended by my family and I.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2023

Fantastic unit, comfy beds, well appointed, nice clean bathroom, excellent food in the restaurant and super friendly staff. Highly recommended. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Trip type: Travelled with friends