“Trifector of errors”

Turkuaz Cafe
Ranked #7 of 27 Quick Bites in Whangarei
Cuisines: Turkish
Reviewed 8 December 2023

Please note this was the Port Rd restaurant. Trifector of mistakes today. Asked for no carrot in the wrap (hubby can't process raw carrot), and it came packed with carrot. He didn't want to make a fuss and picked it out with a fork... but then we found the fries weren't all cooked with some near raw and hubby's coffee had a real burnt taste. Advised them of the issues and nobody took responsibility (they just thought we were after something, which I advised we weren't looking for anything, just wanted them to know).
This use to be one of my favorite lunches, but now too disappointed to return.

Reviewed 7 December 2023

A mixed experience. The surroundings were pleasant. My partner had the spanakopita, which was tasty and the portion generous. However, I made the mistake of ordering the mezze for one. The amount of bread served was minimal, and not nearly sufficient for the range of dips included. When I asked for more bread I was told it would cost me almost four dollars extra for a single further piece of bread.

I have never come across this before in a Turkish (or other Middle Eastern) restaurant. Normally they either provide a sufficiently generous serving of bread to begin with, and if not invariably provide extra for free. It is not expensive for a restaurant to do this, and so charging for extra bread feels like charging for providing tap water at the table. The waiting staff serving us seemed not to have been allowed any discretion in the matter, however. Other more senior-looking members of staff who might have been able to lend assistance chose not to do so.

If Turkuaz had been a little more concerned about creating an favourable impression we’d have stayed on for coffee and tried some of their very tasty-looking baklava and Turkish delight. As it was, however, we went somewhere else for coffee and dessert instead.

Reviewed 5 December 2023

I have eaten here 1-2 a week for about a year now. As someone with food intolerances I always order the same meal as I know it’s safe. They have changed the meals lately & do not advise you of this so it pays to check! The staff member (new to me) wasn’t great at dealing with my complaint about receiving a meal I could no longer eat - which is actually my biggest complaint. I do not know what I am not told!

Reviewed 26 November 2023

How disappointing to think we spent $70 on mostly dips. Mixed grill was terrible in its presentation, chicken and lamb both tough...we left alot of the food behind on the plates.
Best part of the meal? The chips @ $8.50 a bowl and the water.
Also leaving your child in the vehicle for at least half an hour while we were sitting there isn't responsible. Both the child and us, your customers clearly weren't the priority but rather the long in-depth conversation amongst the 4 of you was.
Terrible dining experience that deserves a refund.
We won't be back

Date of visit: November 2023
Reviewed 12 April 2023

Well we didn't expect the food to be like this. While our car was getting it's Warrant of Fitness (WOF) at the Honda dealership where we bought it, we walked down Rathborne Street a few dozen meters to a restaurant called Turkuaz Cafe. We were familiar with the restaurant that used to be there so we thought we'd give it's replacement a go.

The place was moderately busy when we placed our orders so we thought we'd get served fairly quickly and ordered food from the kitchen rather than the sandwiches we could have ordered. Big mistake!

We found a nice table for two as the restaurant started to fill up and talked about what we'd do after we got the WOF. We waited and waited and waited while the tables that placed their orders well after ours started getting theirs served. At one point a server headed towards our table and I turned our number in his direction to make it easier for him to see. Then he veered off to served two other tables.

A table not far from us, where the patrons had just settled a short time before, got their orders and I was just about to go to the counter to ask what was going on ... or not going on ... when our orders finally arrived.

Anne ordered her usual poached eggs on toast and had opted for ciabatta since the only bread they had was multi-grain, which she can't eat. I ordered fish and chips which came with a small green salad. And that's when things got difficult.

Anne's eggs were overcooked and the ciabatta so tough that she had a hard time cutting it with the knife. And since the yolks were not runny the bread was dry, which made getting through it even harder.

The batter on my small, overcooked and tasteless piece of Gurnard made me think of cotton in a pipe of concrete. The thick batter was not only difficult to get through but oozed oil when I cut it. Most of the chips (french fries) were brown and burnt. Only the small salad wasn't overcooked and I ate every bit while leaving a plate with chunks of batter and burnt chips uneaten.

The highlight was my decaf flat white.

Since we'd paid when ordering and we got a text telling us we could pick up our car we left without bothering to gt involved with a face to face complaint. Besides it was still busy and people were placing orders.

I just hope they weren't ordering poached eggs or fish and chips.

EPILOGUE: Actually, the sandwiches looked good. So if we ever venture into this place again we'll stick to something the kitchen can't ruin.

Date of visit: April 2023