“Great for food and fun”
Review of Gengy's

Gengy's
Ranked #26 of 159 Restaurants in Whangarei
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Cuisines: Mongolian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A Mongolian style BBQ buffet restaurant. Try different combinations of meats, sauces and other fresh ingredients! Pancakes and ice-cream for desert.
Reviewed 23 September 2018

I think the Whangarei branch of Gengy's is the best! The food and service were excellent. I love being able to select my own ingredients and then watch the chef cook it for me while I wait. Four chefs were working the busy grill on the night I was there and they all did a fabulous job. The manager, Anna, is very friendly and her mother's homemade kimchi goes very well with the bowls of Mongolian barbecue. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Robert D

Reviewed 28 August 2018

This restaurant can be a lot of fun. You create your own meal for the chefs to BBQ. Great selection of raw meats, seafood, fresh vegetables, sauces and seasonings to assemble the way you prefer them to be prepared The "all you can eat" concept requires a number of trips to the selection buffet and the staff encourage you to do so. The whole evening is a very social experience with friendly, helpful staff and a substantial bar service at reasonable prices to back it up.
People with imaginative ideas for meal creation will love it, but be careful with the chilli....

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018

Because this place is so good I highly recommend loyalty cards for local customers who dine here often :) would be a great addition

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Went here for my sons birthday. Great experience and very reasonably priced. All you can eat for $29.95. There is a catch though in that if you mix and match wrongly you can end up with some fairly average and unappetising meals. Luckily we got it right most of the time.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 5 May 2018

I had no idea what kind of place this was when I went in. We were there on a particularly busy night so we had to wait a while for our food to be cooked on the hot plate. I like how you can choose whatever you like, mixing concoctions and experimenting with meat, veggies, sauces, oils and herbs and spices. They also had pancakes and icecream which was nice if you can fit it in! They don't mind how many times you go back but the sign says, please don't waste food. I must say that the marinaded red meats plus chicken and pork was delish but the seafood (calamari) was dry, hard to chew and I couldn't eat it. Which could be a good thing in buffet anyhow I'm not sure! Overall a nice evening but don't go there expecting to eat at the same time as the one or many other people on your table. It is great value. Nice busy bustling atmosphere on this busy night. Lots of options

Date of visit: May 2018