“Asian Fusion by the Quay”
Review of No. 8

Ranked #16 of 159 Restaurants in Whangarei
Description: Asian fusion restaurant in the Whangarei Town Basin
Description: Asian fusion restaurant in the Whangarei Town Basin
Reviewed 11 January 2020 via mobile

Lovely two storied restaurant with indoor, outdoor upstairs verandah dining. Attentive and friendly staff, food came very quickly. Our group of three went on a Friday night, at 6pm, and hadn’t booked, but got a table upstairs inside, but I noticed alot of the tables had reserved on them, especially the ones on the verrandah or outside. We had the small shared plates between us, and the one man in our group had a large serve of the salmon to himself. It was all lovely, lots of lovely flavours, and look forward to trying sone different dishes next time. My only real gripe is that I think the chicken pieces could have been hotter, they were barely warm, and I don’t mean the flavour. They gave us a bowl for our chicken bones, and wet cloths for our sticky chicken fingers. This restaurant is owed by the same people that own many others like the Quay and some in other towns like, The Cove, Dune, and some others I can’t recall. I’ll be back to try some more of their refreshing, light, healthy, yet tasty dishes.

Date of visit: January 2020

Reviewed 9 January 2020

We came for dinner on NYE, having booked the day before. The restaurant was quite busy, I'd say that we were either the second or third sitting (8:00PM) but that doesn't excuse the extremely poor service, the shoddy table care, the lack of interest in the wait staff or the stacks of dirty glasses on the bar. And then there's the food. Normally, when you see Asian fusion, you expect to see some variety of dishes. My wife can't take coriander, and so we asked what dishes were coriander free...no idea was the response. We chose a selection of entrees and a main. ALL dishes were dropped on the VERY SMALL table at the same time! What!? Were we unclear? MMM - and the presentation - well let's say that this is NOT a fine dining establishment and, were I a local, it would be the last time I ever went there. Do I need to mention the lady(?) who had had so much to drink (RSA??) that she threw up on the only set of stairs to get down from the upper floor? Needless to say, we escaped as soon as we could.

1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 4 January 2020

Had the banquet as quite a few of us and food was nice with plenty of it. Service was good for food but extremely slow if you wanted cocktails, we had to chase them up everytime to be told they are beign made downstairs, not sure what difference that made, this is the only thing that let the evening down hence the average rating for service.

Reviewed 19 December 2019 via mobile

Last time I came to No8 I had a great meal so it was disappointing that our meal was not as good this time. There was more ”sameness” to the dishes and most of them were chilli hot with no indication on the menu.

Reviewed 10 December 2019

I love Asian food so was glad to see a new restaurant serving Asian fusion food. But I was disappointed. I was on my own and ordered two small plates. The Vietnamese summer rolls where nothing like a good roll from a genuine Vietnamese restaurant. The five spiced duck was grim. There was lots of sliced up red cabbage and crispy noodles from a packet. Seriously? Service was poor. I was served my dish without utensils and water was given to me towards the end of the meal. I was served by a sequence of different wait staff. Very disappointing.