“Unique fusion food with a view”
Review of No. 8

Ranked #19 of 157 Restaurants in Whangarei
Price range: US$3 - US$23
Description: Asian fusion restaurant in the Whangarei Town Basin
Description: Asian fusion restaurant in the Whangarei Town Basin
Reviewed 7 December 2017

This was a birthday treat and it was a very good Asian fusion style restaurant. The plates are very generous and it is great to get a variety of meals and share. The food just comes as it is ready and in no particular order. The flavours are great and we especially enjoyed the Pork Belly, Brazed beef cheeks and the Thai kumara dish. The desserts were the only let down...(deep fried ice cream - batter too thick and saffron on the syrup cake was a bit overpowering) but we will still return for the other dishes. Lovely position as well in the basin.

Reviewed 5 December 2017

I ordered the soft-shell crab and was a bit disappointed. It's not that it was not tasty but the dish was overpriced for what it was and the accompaniments were simply average - plain slaw, light-weight aioli.

2  Thank HaljoHal
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I attended a staff function on Friday night and this was my first time at No.8. We were all mingling in the outside area and staff brought plates of nibbles around throughout the evening (the pork belly was divine). They were also happily going and getting individuals their drink of choice from the Bar, the Sauvignon Blanc was very good. I found the Staff very friendly but would like to make particular mention of Hannah who was very efficient with a permanent genuine smile on her face. She would engage briefly in conversation but not to the extent of not being attentive to her job. I felt like she was looking after me personally but she was actually like this with everyone. Thanks again Hannah :-).

3  Thank jeanneh58
Reviewed 24 November 2017

I had my first experience at No 8 last week, the décor is fab, the service was friendly , attentive and helpful , the waiter was a breath of fresh air!!!. We had four dishes to share and all were amazing, we probably over did for two people. Prawn cakes - tick, duck, - tick, salmon salad - tick, Vietnamese rolls - tick. All were flavoursome and fresh and tasty, maybe a bit overdone on the coriander but no complaints here. WE will def be back - also good wine list with recommendations from waiter.

1  Thank Karener06
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I see the mix of excellent food, average service. We three thought the food was great, the service was less than polished. One of us wanted a personal serving, we two were happy sharing a couple of plates. The specials menu board was written too small to read but we ordered two small plates with advice from the waiter. We asked if there's enough for two, he said yes, plenty. There was. The personal dish took an embarassing age by which time we'd eaten most of our shared plates. The bill, well I could see from the bank notes put on the plate that we'd been charged for large not small plates. They were definitely generous portions but we'd ordered small. If the waiter had said, would you prefer big portions we would have said, no small will be fine. It was lunchtime. The personal salmon salad plate was the same volume as what we'd had. I saw the paying guest wince, it was over $110 for three lunch plates and three coffee's. The payer wouldn't complain and it wasn't my job to scrutinise the bill. A bit smart for my liking. I have often the choice about where my guests eat, perhaps management would like to look into this.