“Man v Food and food wins”

Jimmy Jacks Rib Shack & Craft Bar
Ranked #35 of 159 Restaurants in Whangarei
Description: A rocking good feed for great people Stonegrill classics, lobster steam Pots, BBQ Steakhouse classics and some of the best deserts, craft beers and ciders come on down
Reviewed 10 November 2019

My last night in the area and I decided to venture to "Jimmy Jack". Plenty of parking, so only one beer for me tonight, sob!

On entering it seemed like any other eatery in this style, Frankie & Bennys or TGi Fridays. The bar is central to the building and the bathrooms on the left as I entered. One thing I noted was the sale of merchandise, which I crave on my travels. And yes I bought a t-shirt, rude not to!

Looking at the menu I chose to have the surf & turf with fries. It arrived within 20 minutes and I wasn't disappointed. This meals varies from country to country but is basically the same and this one was up there with the best of them. As for the beer I had I chose Tiger beer on draught.

They also have a challenge to anyone daft enough to try it. The chance to get your photo on the "Wall of Honour" or "Wall of Shame". I'm saying no more, go down there and take the challenge!

4  Thank ibbitson_john

Reviewed 6 November 2019

Food was actually OK but atmosphere was missing for me. Prefer smaller dining options but would be good for families with children.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 21 October 2019

First visit to Whangarei Shack, disappointing they didn't have the same cocktails as Paihia but nonetheless, food just as good, just a shame this place is expensive.

1  Thank WinesieTime
Reviewed 13 October 2019

We went for dinner on Thursday night for a family birthday we ordered entrees and when they arrived they where not what you would have thought you where getting going from the photos on the menu well below standard then the mains arrived pork ribs grilled and then coated with cheap tasting bbq sauce more than likely bought from the local supermarket another member of the group asked for the steak sandwich he asked for Med rear and was told they couldn't do it what a joke the chef needs major training

Reviewed 17 September 2019

I had heard great things about this place, so tried it out for lunch, as we wanted ribs for a birthday treat. The customer service was pretty shocking from the waiter who took our meal order. The one who seated us initially was friendly. I was not allowed to pay extra to change my fries to curly fries and kept getting cut off and talked over while trying to order and discuss the order which was frustrating. Our ribs were luke warm and had a weird after taste. The chips served with the meal tasted like plastic and were soggy to the point we both had one each and left them. Also the glass of coke was not tasting right either. Seemed like everything was a bit old.
Luckily for us the coleslaw and curly fries we ordered on the side were actually superb and the best part of the meal! So I do have to give credit there.
I was going to say something when asked how our meal was going but the waiter walked off as I was mid sentence.
We were offered a free cupcake as it was a birthday, and then out came a deep fried piece of something resembling dough with an apology that there was actually no cupcakes, that was also inedible too but feel I can't judge on that since it was a free offer.
I was pretty disappointed, and probably wouldn't go back anytime soon.

Date of visit: September 2019