“Enjoyable ”

Jimmy Jacks Rib Shack & Craft Bar
Ranked #33 of 160 Restaurants in Whangarei
Description: A rocking good feed for great people Stonegrill classics, lobster steam Pots, BBQ Steakhouse classics and some of the best deserts, craft beers and ciders come on down
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Dined here for lunch on a Sunday I'd say 90% of the tables were taken our family of 6 were seated immediately our orders taken soon after with our drinks brought to us within 5 minutes food arrived 10 to 15 minutes after, so happy with service also the lady who served us was helpful and friendly.

The decor is nice, clean and tables are spaced out well so you have room to get in and out of your seat without hassle the only thing that bothered me was the sun, if sitting by the big windows on a sunny day it can get quite hot.

The food went down well, the ribs I'd give a 8/10 mine were a bit dry but my partner said his were great. a good amount of meat on them and the sauce is nice too. the rib taster for $19.90 comes with half rib rack and fries they put the fries under the rib on the plate which makes them soggy next time I'd get my fries on the side. The kids had chicken nuggets and fries which were just your average that you'd find on any kids menu at most places they also had the ice cream sunday which was ok had to much chocolate sauce like half the glass was chocolate sauce and for $9.90 id expect a awesome sunday now my recommendation for dessert is the dubble chocolate skillet cookie with ice cream 10/10 so yummy I'd go back just for that.

All in all a good lunch would go back again maybe for a burger next time.

1  Thank krystalp218

Reviewed 1 August 2016

A group of four of us went to Jimmy Jack's to celebrate a friend's birthday. We were all looking forward to dining there. The restaurant was busy (as it appears to have been ever since it opened). The atmosphere was great. The four of us were really thinking we were in for a great night.

The night didn't start too well, with the waitress who seated us proving to be quite miserable and bolshie. Not even a smile. We explained we were there for a birthday and were really looking forward to our meals. She didn't answer and just dumped the menus on the corner of our table and walked off.

Five minutes later another waitress came over and took our drinks order. I'd glanced at the menu and asked a question about a meal. The waitress said she'd place the drinks order first and come back. She didn't.

We waited and waited but never saw another waitress until our drinks came. This time it was a different waitress. We asked a couple of questions about the menu but all she kept saying was "the meals are huge" and "whatever you order, you'll love it".

When our meals arrived there were no vegetables or salads with them. It wasn't until then that we discovered that all vegetables and salads were extra. For $30 - $40 a steak meal (depending on what one chose) I would have expected at least a piece of parsley on my plate!

I had the `Surf and Turf'. My steak came with 2 scallops and 3 prawns. The prawns came on a skewer and were flat and dry. They must have been cooked in a press. The scallops weren't whole scallops. It was just the white part. A bit disappointing really. The steak was dry and there were no juices on the plate. It was suggested by one of our party that, perhaps, the steaks are cooked in a press (and not over a flame or in a pan).

A finger-bowl sized dish of seafood chowder came with my meal. That was delicious. If I returned to this restaurant I would probably order this as a main. Will I return though? Who knows.

One friend ordered the `succulent scotch fillet'. Succulent, they said, it wasn't. Again, no juices on the plate. He is the one that suggested the meat had been cooked in a press. His meal came with a handful of McDonalds-type fries and two pieces of corn on the cobb (like you buy from the supermarket freezer). He paid an extra $7 for some chips and $8 for a side salad. It was an expensive meal for something he didn't enjoy.

The birthday girl ordered Calamari. When the waitress came to see how our meals were, she was told that the calamari was so tough that the sole of a shoe could be repaired with them. The waitress just said "The ribs are nice". What sort of response is that?

That's when someone from the neighbouring table lent across and said just be thankful you didn't order the fish and chips. Obviously, they weren't happy with their meal. Maybe this is why the waitress kept saying "The ribs are nice"?

The only person on our table who enjoyed their meal had ordered a chicken and avocado salad.

The only up-side to the night was that we went and played the pokies afterwards and one of our group won $200 (and in a generous gesture paid for all four meals).

We went on to another restaurant for dessert and coffee.

1  Thank JimJim_2016
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Here are the top 8 things that were terrible about our time at Jimmy jacks today
1. Extremely poor welcome
2. The place wasn't busy but we were sat at a dirty table
3. Had to ask the bar staff if someone would be taking our order after a considerable wait
4. Asked for some water (it never came)
5. Our drinks order never arrived. (They admitted they forgot)
6. When I went to ask about our drinks the bar staff continued to work and left me waiting awkwardly
7. Did I say this was in the afternoon and they were not busy enough to even warrant such poor service??
8. Found rib sauce on the back of my jumper after we left (I didn't order any ribs).

1  Thank sophiac911
Reviewed 28 July 2016

I went there last night in a party of 7 adults and we ordered the Premium Rib Platter and there was sufficient to feed all 7 of us.
The ribs just fell apart and the sauce covering them was delicious and my wife said that she really liked the way the chicken was prepared.
Only negative was the time it took as it was so crowded 40 minutes to get a table for the 7 of us as they don't do bookings and then another 40 minutes to get our order.

1  Thank lloydkirkham
Reviewed 27 July 2016

We decided to eat out at the Jimmy Jacks and very pleased we did. Really lovely caring staff. The restaurant was very busy but we were treated so well that felt we were the only ones. Acoustically it was very easy to hear one another speak which I think is very important when dining out. The tables are far enough apart to make for easy dining. WE chose and shared a bacon cheese bun for starters then a rib combo again shared by 2. This was divine with warm crab hotpot with crispy bread, coleslaw, fries and of course a whole rib slab. so good so yummy and enough to fill our tummies. We will certainly come back again.

1  Thank Anne E