Review Highlights
AN excellent three day trip

Reviewed 30 April 2018
25Trishy
Feilding, New Zealand
Awesome guide with a real connection to Te Awa o Whanganui

Reviewed 28 February 2018
wellsynz
Christchurch

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 July 2019

We got in a jet boat and whizzed up the river where there were canoes waiting. We were give instructions and safety jackets and set off down the river in the company of other people on the trip. There was small rapids but these will vary with time of year and rain fall.The Whanganui river is an awesome experience. You come off the river at the same point that you entered it on the jet boat. Worth every penny.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Wanganui River Canoes organise a great trip down the river. YOu book your accomodation through them. WE stayed in a cabin for the last night which was very good.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 28 February 2018

I've worked in outdoor tourism for years so I know a good operator when I see one and these guys are. But what makes this experience so special is the real connection Hayden and his family have to this area. This would be the most genuine Maori cultural experience I've ever seen anywhere in New Zealand. Throw in some awesome scenery and a special meal and it's one of the best weekends away I've ever had. (We did the overnight trip with Hayden and Monique from Hiakai). Highly recommended but get in quick cos it will book out. Thanks!

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank wellsynz
Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

A great bucket list trip. If you nothing else do this one with Jamie Anderson . Great food, astonishing scenery and a happy, helpful and generous guide. The river is remote though but this makes it even better. Five stars plus.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Just arrived from Australia and did a 4-day trip with Jamie and a great crowd I had never met before.
Stunning scenery all the way, good food (Jamie cooks better on a camp fire than I do in my kitchen) and a jovial crowd made in a very enjoyable adventure (not all adventures are...)
Jamie was always chirpy and a great organiser. He has extensive knowledge of the river, its history and its wildlife. He made it all work so well.
I would suggest Australians come after mid-December. Before that the weather can be temperamental.

Date of experience: November 2016