Review Highlights
An experience never to be forgotten

We had an amazing time on the river, with great scenery and vistas. This is not for the faint... read more

Reviewed 27 February 2020
daryleliza59
Northampton, United Kingdom
via mobile
AN excellent three day trip

Reviewed 30 April 2018
25Trishy
Feilding, New Zealand

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Wanganui River Canoes organise a great trip down the river. YOu book your accomodation through them. WE stayed in a cabin for the last night which was very good.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 28 February 2018

I've worked in outdoor tourism for years so I know a good operator when I see one and these guys are. But what makes this experience so special is the real connection Hayden and his family have to this area. This would be the most genuine Maori cultural experience I've ever seen anywhere in New Zealand. Throw in some awesome scenery and a special meal and it's one of the best weekends away I've ever had. (We did the overnight trip with Hayden and Monique from Hiakai). Highly recommended but get in quick cos it will book out. Thanks!

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank wellsynz
Reviewed 3 December 2016 via mobile

A great bucket list trip. If you nothing else do this one with Jamie Anderson . Great food, astonishing scenery and a happy, helpful and generous guide. The river is remote though but this makes it even better. Five stars plus.

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Just arrived from Australia and did a 4-day trip with Jamie and a great crowd I had never met before.
Stunning scenery all the way, good food (Jamie cooks better on a camp fire than I do in my kitchen) and a jovial crowd made in a very enjoyable adventure (not all adventures are...)
Jamie was always chirpy and a great organiser. He has extensive knowledge of the river, its history and its wildlife. He made it all work so well.
I would suggest Australians come after mid-December. Before that the weather can be temperamental.

Date of experience: November 2016
1  Thank Sholto D
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

My wife and I just recently finished a five day excursion with Jamie and Sarah down the Whanganui. This trip was amazing. Jamie and Sarah were extremely courteous and helpful hosts. Jaime's knowledge of the river and the overall history of New Zealand in general was second to none. They supplied us with everything we needed for camp and canoeing. They even offered us rain gear in case we needed it. Tents, air mattresses and pillows were all top notch. Both Sarah and Jamie were also a delight to speak with and socialize. We definitely never had a dull moment between the four of us. Food was delicious with a variety of dinners, great lunches and warm breakfasts every day. The scenery was to die for. We have never seen so many waterfalls in our life in such a short amount of time. The wildlife was also great. Every morning we woke to amazing bird songs. I would highly recommend this journey to anyone visiting New Zealand or just wanting a get away. We were looking for a multi day backpacking trip and are so glad we chose this instead. Thank you Jamie and Sarah this trip will be something we will never forget.

Date of experience: October 2016