Review Highlights
An experience never to be forgotten

We had an amazing time on the river, with great scenery and vistas. This is not for the faint... read more

Reviewed 27 February 2020
daryleliza59
Northampton, United Kingdom
via mobile
AN excellent three day trip

Wanganui River Canoes organise a great trip down the river. YOu book your accomodation through... read more

Reviewed 30 April 2018
25Trishy
Feilding, New Zealand

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Two hours on the Whanganui river on a Saturday morning was a great way to show my visiting Aunt the sites. Hint ...don't wear white! The coal ash does settle on your clothes.

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed 5 March 2015

My Family and I did the 5 day canoe tour down the Whanganui River by our tour guide Jamie. Jamie made the whole experience so worth while with his knowledge of the river and its history, his oustanding camp cooking and his sense of humour. The trip can be made with other groups, but this is by far the most enjoyable with Jamie's cooking, knowledge and help from his little outboard motor (for the long still straights of river). I can't recommend doing this trip enough but only with Jamie!

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed 19 February 2015

An excellent 5 days canoeing down the Whanganui river with Jamie our tour guide, chef and fount of all knowledge on the river and its surrounds.
Advertises and delivers gourmet food - porridge (40+ years since I'd eaten porridge - it never tasted like this), glazed ham on the bone, filet steak, lamb legs, scones, muffins, banana cake all produced on a camp oven.
Side trips to interesting sites like 'the bridge to nowhere, and a day off the river as well as the odd dunking all combine to really make the trip truly 'Unique'.
I recommend this canoe trip to anyone.
Thanks, Jamie.

Date of experience: January 2015
Reviewed 29 January 2015

We did the 5 day trip over New Year's, with a group of 10 people. Jamie was calm and relaxed, and a good host, and prepared excellent dinners at the end of each day. We ate around the camp table which was a lovely way to end each day.
Highly recommended way to explore the Whanganui River. No cellphone reception for 5 days, and I didn't think of work once.
Alex

Date of experience: December 2014
Reviewed 28 January 2015

I waited 18 years to do this trip of my dreams and it was AMAZING!! I loved the whole experience...the canoeing,the scenery,tenting,swimming in river holes,the history,bush walking etc.Jamie was an expert guide,cook,organiser, and host.He did not hurry us..(half the group were in our 60's and 70's) and made sure we were confident to tackle all the fun rapids and obstacles.Extra interesting side trips on and off the water, plus amazing food for campers, made this trip truely "unique".

Date of experience: January 2015